David Amerson is an interesting prospect leading up to April’s NFL Draft

Posted by ttwentyman on February 27, 2013 – 3:37 pm

David Amerson admittedly spent the 2012 college football season chasing the NCAA interceptions record. As a result, the 6-1, 205-pound cornerback from North Carolina State spent a lot of time chasing receivers with the football down the field.

Amerson broke the ACC record with 13 interceptions in 2011. He entered 2012 with a lot of NFL eyes on him, but his stock dropped considerably after a shaky season in which he was beaten a number of times in coverage.

He told reporters down at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis that his approach to the 2012 season was all wrong.

“I was just playing to get interceptions, trying to match the 13 (from 2011),” Amerson said. “A lot of sitting on routes and guessing resulted in giving up touchdowns.  I started getting out of character, not letting the game come to me and just not being myself.”

Amerson’s season got off to a troubling start when Tennessee’s Cordarrelle Patterson, who’s considered the best receiver available in next month’s draft, had his way with Amerson to the tune of six catches for 93 yards and a score in the first game of the season.

In a game against Miami (Fla.) later in the year, Amerson was beaten on four touchdown passes.

The entire 2012 season for Amerson can be summed up in one word – inconsistent.

So, Amerson came to the Combine with something to prove and did very well for himself when he measured 6-foot-1 and showed terrific straight-line speed in the 40-yard dash at 4.44 seconds.

The game film doesn’t lie when it comes to Amerson, though, which is why interested teams will evaluate him very carefully over the next two months.

The measurables all fit the Lions profile for what they like in their cornerbacks, but also what they might be looking for in a cover safety.

Amerson played safety in high school, and though he only played cornerback at NC State, said he had teams talk to him about safety at the Combine.

“I don’t have a problem with it,” Amerson said of a switch to safety. “I just see myself as a playmaker in the secondary wherever (I play). My first love on defense was safety. So I don’t think it would be too hard for me. It wouldn’t be too much of a challenge.”

The Lions had success converting cornerback Amari Spievey to safety in training camp in 2010.

Amerson’s size, speed and skill set make him an interesting prospect — one worth keeping an eye on over the next two months.

16 Responses to “David Amerson is an interesting prospect leading up to April’s NFL Draft”

1. By Corey on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

“I was just playing to get interceptions, trying to match the 13 (from 2011),” Amerson said. “A lot of sitting on routes and guessing resulted in giving up touchdowns. I started getting out of character, not letting the game come to me and just not being myself.”

Sounds like you were being yourself… Your a guy who chases records 1st and cares for his team 2nd…

2. By JP O'Flaherty on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

I hope this in reference to a mid round selection. Remember we drafted supposedly three solid CB’s last year. How much experience did they get? Green, Greenwood, Bentley???? Green played well in his forced starting role. Also, what about the 3-4 LBs from last year’s draft? Draft prospects than never start them or give them limited experience? That is POOR planning and smacks of desperation in playing more experienced players who aren’t getting the job done. WE NEED a Left Tackle First (Fisher) and a Center Second (Cave-ND). There were allot of FAST 40 times by allot of CBs at the combine, should be plenty left later in draft.

3. By Shane Fountain on Feb 28, 2013 | Reply

Jpget over it they wont take a O line man in the draft get over it at least not in the 1st or 2 =nd rounds needs on defense is way more dire then the O Line

4. By Wajiboy on Feb 28, 2013 | Reply

Yes draft the fuckin offensive line and have you high dollar players invested better. Screw the CB and anyone who says take them. We need a LT and and a C period. Then the DE should be drafted and trade that Aviril for alt least 2 draft choices one is first and then one in second. This guy is just about money trade the nigger ok. And this coming from a nigger like me it takes one to know one. He doesnt want play without the money.

5. By Wajiboy on Feb 28, 2013 | Reply

If Mr. GM and coach screw this draft up thats it for you in Detriot. My family is very close to the owner so suprise we know whats going on with you kinda before you do.

6. By Raymond on Feb 28, 2013 | Reply

David Anderson good footballer will help immediately if selected.this draft may prove the worth of gm and coach. I still believe changes should have been made in front office and coaching.

7. By Ronald on Feb 28, 2013 | Reply

The Detroit Lions need 2 draft a jj watt type defensive end they also need a linebacker and a corner back, speedy running back ,o lineman ,wide receiver,punter.

8. By mike on Feb 28, 2013 | Reply

i like Amerson, i say the lions take Dion jordan in the first round, he is a FREAK and is versatile, and the draft offers a lot more depth at OT and cornerback than people think, mathieu will be a steal just like janoris jenkins was last year, he is a game changer and could be a second or even a third round steal.

9. By Don on Mar 1, 2013 | Reply

I haven’t seen Amerson play so I can’t evaluate that aspect of this discussion.
    What I do know is that when you say that we had success converting Amari Spievey To safety from CB I just do not agree. I have not believed that Amari has been happy since we picked him up in the draft. Not that he wasn’t a good pick or that he couldn’t play but it just seemed that he wasn’t happy being here and I also don’t think that he was happy about Moving from CB to S.I really believe unless Amari say’s different that we should probably trade Spievey for Picks or another player from somewhere that he wants to go. These are usually win win situations.
    Either we pick up someone who isn’t happy where he was at and he play’s his behind off for us and the player we have or had is now happy too!
    Now, I don’t know Amerson like I said, maybe he would love to come in here and retrain himself to Safety. Just make sure that that is what he wants before you go drafting him and we have a guy here that is going to do what we ask of him just because he figures that he has too until he gets a chance to get outta here. .

10. By Don on Mar 1, 2013 | Reply

I hate it when I have to much to say. (: BUT, I too believe that Taking a Tackle with the first pick would be the smart thing to do. However, sometimes I think if I had a Team which I do not, (: that I would Draft All Tackles for the whole Offensive Line.
    Talk about a big tough Line. But that would cost a ton, Unless you didn’t take the TOP OTs . and just got Two TOP OTs one on the right and one on the Left.
    SWITCHING GEARS HERE!
    Kenny Vaccaro Out of Texas I believe would be a nice Safety to add to our arsenal. And then if we can resign Louise Delmas and he can actually really get healthy then that means 3 very good DBs and I am Really hoping that Chris Greenwood can get healthy stay healthy and play above and beyond what everyone thinks he will. I am one of the ones that believes that he can. He is Raw and he needs someone almost constantly telling HE CAN!
    The real Tricky part is having the men that you want to pick be there when you want to pick them, Like Vaccaro I do not believe that I would pick him with the NO.5 pick in the 1st RD.I really still believe that that Pick is for a O”Tackle,.QB, A big, Fast smart DE, Or a RB, However when you take a RB with the 1st Rd pick Then that RB Better end up being One of the best RB ever taken in a draft or you will end up hearing about how you picked up that RB when you could have chosen that Fantastic OT. And really I believe that we can pick up the Tackle and still get the RB that we want. I think I even know where one is at that would fit what we want. But, I will not say it on here. I really was hoping that I could meet the new Xavier guy? that Mayhew brought in and just see if we would see EYE TO EYE. (: LOL I think too much of myself, But I am a great guy! Anyways, I hope that we get Every man that we Need to help us Win our Superbowl!
    OH, PS!, I still Believe that if we could get another BIG WR that can catch and run on the opposite of Wherever Calvin is playing With Broyles in the slot or Burleson. and our TEs and a good RB, With a HUGE OLINE And Mathew Stafford. AND ONE great huge, FAST, Defense.that we can win the Superbowl! (:!
    Where DOES IT START! UP Fr…………….

I LOVE THIS TEAM! GO LION”S!

11. By Michigan Man Marvelous on Mar 1, 2013 | Reply

The only cornerbacks in this draft that I would even consider would be Milliner at #5 or Mathieu in the 3rd/ 4th/ 5th rounds (I saw the Primetime interview, thumbs up!) Revis is the guy our team has to go after if we want an immediate shut-down cornerback. REVIS ISLAND is a scary place for any Wideout to visit reguardless of injury. If he is interested in Detroit, GRAB HIM UP! I agree with the rest of the fans though, Offensive tackle is the next most important position to fill, and I like this kid from CMU. He’s got a chip and he wants to prove himself. Fisher kinds reminds me of Jake Long abit, and I would love to see Long as a LION. GOOOOOOO LIONS!!!

12. By Dus tee on Mar 4, 2013 | Reply

Ya, that’s what we need, another guy that ” might be good someday”. B.S. take the sure things, it back fired on us last year. But if you don’t care to win then let’s just keep on doing.

13. By Ronald on Mar 4, 2013 | Reply

the detroit lions need to draft a defensive end,linebacker,cornerback a speedy running back and a hugh o lineman.also a punter.

14. By rockbo1955 on Mar 6, 2013 | Reply

they have 3/4 of the o-line and there our plenty of o-line in free agency and in the draft and the same with de! we can not have a pass rush if we can not cover the players I am hoping we can get Dee Milliner at 5 and I would like to get rb out north Carolina lb anyone but jones the injury to his neck is a disaster waiting to happen! like to get eric fisher to and a fast bit good hands wr to play the other side of CJ and the running back from nc has great hands and pick up some good oline that play now every position they draft has to be able to play this year i would would grow with pain of having a young strong and fast team !

15. By mike mitchell on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

i think its really simple. get much needed starters in this draft, or fire everybody. the lions are either real slow, or never played football before. case in point, is the avery t.d. at the end of the indy game. not one defender moved towards avery, as he walked into the end zone.we cant run the ball because most of the time raiola is getting knocked backwards.how can you run the ball, when your middle is caving in? we keep making the same draft mistakes year after year. we gamble on guys with known injuries, hoping they will end up in canton. (broyles). we will probably draft a d.e. with a bad neck, and arm tacklers that cant break 4.8. doesnt any body else wonder how indy, denver, minny, and on and on can rebuild upwards, while the lions completely destruct, after making the playoffs. (for the first time in eons). sick of getting laughed at on the nfl chanel. we have the second hardest schedule this year, so if stafford doesnt settle down in the pocket, he might go. down to ten t.d. passes. there….i feel better now. still wont renew my season tickets though.

16. By Young Herschel on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

Jarvis Jones Linebacker Georgia – Put him as WLB in the 4-3 and move Deandre Levy to SLB since he wasn’t doing shit on the weakside anyway . On 3rd and very long , Jarvis becomes the Dime Defensive End

Matt Elam Safety Florida – Put him as SS to give Levy some insurance on the strongside

Dave Amerson Cornerback NC State – There is ALWAYS a run on impact corner prospects so if he’s there after 2 rounds you take this tall, speedy playmaker

Sam Montgomery Defensive End LSU – I know he’s better than Mingo; I’m a big LSU fan and I’ve watched him on nearly every snap of his career – steal as our 4th round compensatory pick