Even Barry Sanders is on the Reggie Bush bandwagon

Posted by ttwentyman on March 12, 2013 – 9:44 pm

The absence of Jahvid Best the past season-and-a-half has been noticeable. With the attention wide receiver Calvin Johnson draws, not having that change-of-pace option out of the backfield has left a void.

General manager Martin Mayhew has said the Lions need to fill that spot. Now Barry Sanders is saying the same thing.

In a tweet sent out a couple hours after official news spread that Bush would be in Detroit, Sanders said, “Hey, I’d love to see @ReggieBush here in the D. I’ve always been outspoken (for me) about how important I think the run game is. Even today.”

That says a lot that Sanders – who takes a dig at himself in the tweet for his opposite-of-outspoken personality – would endorse Bush publicly, and even tag Bush in the post itself.

It seems the stars are aligning – no pun intended.

At this point, I would be surprised if the Lions allowed Bush to leave Detroit without a deal.

28 Responses to “Even Barry Sanders is on the Reggie Bush bandwagon”

1. By cpat71 on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

I am pretty sure that it was in response to my tweet to Barry. :)

2. By Rebelyankee on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

If they have to pay him more then 3 to 4 mill a season they better let him leave.

3. By Black Wolf Standing on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

@Rebelyankee: Reggie Bush is worth more money than $3 to $4 million. But different sports writers have said Bush is asking for about $8 million. In the best southern accent I have, “That ain’t happening!” The big question is if other teams are going to offer that much just to raise his price up. If they do, they can have him. It seems to me that Bush would like coming to Detroit that has a QB that can throw him the ball.

4. By Andrea L Molinari on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

Reggie Bush has a lot of mileage on his body. The bottom line is that our offensive line is not better.

I would rather draft a back in the second or third round. Use the money toward improving the defense. How much better would we be if we signed another CB… Or Cliff Avril and paired him with a first round DE as a bookend. Build a dominant defense.

5. By Drew on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

Barry speaking out – which he so rarely does – is clearly an indicator that the D-men are trying to pull out all the stops to entice Bush to join the club. I agree with those saying he’s worth more than 3-4M and would think he might be worth as much as 6M over 3 years, with maybe 8-10 guaranteed. Obviously, I’m not close enough to the cap math to have my opinion matter much, but I would support the Lions letting Avril, Delmas and Durant all go – in addition to those announced or anticipated to go (Cherilus, Hill, etc). Combine that with a Stafford restructure – I think he’s holding out until they need to pull the trigger, he clearly wants Bush too – and I have to think the Lions have a little wiggle room here. Really would love to wake to news that Bush and Quin are new Lions.

6. By Bob on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Bush is an asteroid, and he is gonna hit Detroit and make things even worse. He is not needed. This is yet again another Detroit failure (Mayhew). The Lions do not need another RB. The only stars that are aligned are the three that are in your head and they are burned out.

This just demonstrates why Detroit is in the salary cap issue it is – poor management. Mayhew hires a crap coaching staff, can’t budget and does not understand strategy, nor balance.

Good job Ford – you meathead! WC Ford’s goal is to have the worst Half Century team. He will succeed. Detroit needs new owners.

Good luck Lions – you’ll need it.

7. By Jerry on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

He’s not gonna get 8 mil anywhere. The Lions may have to top out at 5 mil to get him signed. Considering what they pay Stafford, Suh and Megatron, 5 seems sort of reasonable if they have the cap space…

8. By Robb Gillies on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Agreed

9. By Don on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

SO far the FA Part that Meyhew Said we were going to be so Busy with has Been really slow and not that good of News. I did hear that Gosder Cherilus signed with the Colt’s. SO WHY no word about Stafford Restructuring his Contract?
    This Really bother’s Me that we haven’t heard any thing from Stafford or any more from his Agent? Is Mathew Stafford A part of this TEAM or NOT!
    Most QBS that want their TEAM to Win will help out so that it Can!
    Stafford are you a TEAM PLAYER? ARE YOU HERE TO LEAD this TEAM to a SUPERBOWL or are you Making Other PLANS!.

10. By randall on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Not one team will even come close to giving Bush 8mil period.He should be lucky to get close to what he got from the Fins,wich I believe was around 4mil.

11. By randall on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Yea Staff needs to step up and help out.Dont pull a Flacco and devastate the team Staff has made plenty of money im sure and was hurt for half the time on the team so he should feel obligated to help the Lions make some moves,i’m tired of all the no name,third best guy signings that they always do

12. By Raymond on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Barrys got it right Bush would be win win.sign Jason Hanson this talk about kickoffs reaching enzone is lame.Hanson comes to work everyday sign him he’s earned it.

13. By Darius on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Matt Stafford has restructured his contract for the last several years. I don’t think he was asked this year to either give him a break or in hopes to come up with an extension.

14. By Jukemove on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Stafford is in the cat-bird -seat when it comes to his contract,he doesn’t have to do anything. If I were Stafford before I restructured a thing I would want to see who they are targeting, if there is a realistic chance of landing them, and does he fit our system, because I’m not restructring for garbage. It’s not about proving your a team player at this point it’s all about business.

15. By Tony on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Bush is in Detroit for a reason. They talked to his agent previously to get a ballpark or idea number on what he wants.
    If he wanted 8 mill trust he would not be in Detroit.
    He is in Detroit because the Lions CAN & WILL sign him.

He’ll sign today.
    Go LIONS!

16. By Dar Kur on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Hey, Jukemove, are you vying for a job in the front office? You’re right on, dude. Stafford doesn’t have to do a damn thing. I don’t even think they want him too. Restructuring just means they’ll be hit even harder in the cap in a few years from now. But if it’s absolutely worth it (like a future Hall of Fame potential)–they’ll work something out.

17. By Dar Kur on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

oops – him “to”.

18. By Jack M on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Bush would be a good fit, but what good is more offense if we can’t stop anyone?

19. By Dave "Waz" on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Some things have developed today that are VERY interesting. The Ravens cut their SS Pollard. I know we were trying to save enough cap space to go after Goldston, who wants $8 mil a year. He has competition with Pollard being in the mix. I’d even rather see Pollard back there for us. The opositions receivers will be looking for volunteers to go over the middle due to his physical play. We get Bush for 4-5 mil (not worth more than that) and we got space left for Pollard or Goldston if his price comes down. Delmas will come back and be able to play a full season since he won’t have to cover for somebody else’s mistakes. Detroit is a good fit for all these guys and should they sign with us, makes us an immediate contender again.

20. By Don on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

I would Be happy to see Goldson here or Pollard Or the dude from Texas. Can’t think of his name and i have to go.
    Hey Did everyone see what Suh did? That is a TEAM player Man,.He believes!,
    Suh is a Leader! That’s what I want Stafford to be! If he is Going to Lead our TEAM, He has to step up and show the Men that are here that he is here also.
    I believe that Calvin would like to know if Stafford is going to step up.
    Thank You Ndamukong Suh!
    GO LIONS! I gotta go! (:

21. By redwagonflyer on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

don’t get bush pick up ahmad bradshaw for a third of the price.

22. By Bob on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

CJ is the only player we have who lives up to his hype. Heck we could bring in any average QB to throw to CJ. Now the line is worse, but we have a new RB. He is fast, and he will need to be because he will only be running from sideline to sideline and out of bounds, or maybe go out for a pass. Our line sucks because Mayhew is an infant.

23. By Beetle on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Hey, if Barry says that Reggie Bush would be perfect for us at this time, then I would have to agree. Barry is the greatest running back of all time in my opinion and he knows running backs and what they should be able to do. I just wish he would come to the organization to be a RB coach. Everybody says that we need a whole new O-line. We were the #2 passing offense in 2012. Must be because the O-line kept people off Stafford with the exception of Cherilus. He got beat a lot and usually just committed a hold on the defensive player nullifying any big play that may have happened, so I’m glad that he is gone. As for our other RBs, I think that Joique Bell was the better back last year. Given that Mikel was in essence a rookie back because of not being able to play his rookie season, hopefully he has matured and learned a lot from the experience of playing time. He’s a big back and with the speed of Joique and Bush and Mikel’s size, there’s absolutely no reason why we shouldn’t have an explosive running game which will cause the defenses to lay off of Megatron. Plus, Bush also gives Stafford another receiving weapon like Marshall Faulk used to be for Kurt Warner. Get some more decent DBs and we’ll be in the mix for the Super Bowl. I’ve always said to my friends that once the Lions win a Super Bowl, they’ll be the first team to 3-Peat. ‘nough said.

24. By Don on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

I just Can’t believe this! This IS Fantastic!
    I love this TEAM!
    And I do not know everything About Who Helped out other than knowing that Ndamukong Suh restructured his Contract And then Things Started happening.
    FA’s began to be Signed, And, all I have to say about that is THANK YOU MR.SUH! THAT WAS A GREAT THING YOU DID AND YOU DID IT RIGHT AT THE RIGHT TIME! BECAUSE WHEN ONE HESITATES? THEY LOSE!
    And You are a Winner MR.Suh! I LOVE THIS TEAM!
    GO LIONS GO, GO GO GO TO THE SUPERBOWL!
    I wish totally that you could see the Smile on this Fan’s Face!

25. By Joe on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Wow!!!!!! Thank-you Suh we could not have done this without your help. Now all we need is Stafford to step up and help his team to go and get more talent like REVIS… Stafford there is no “I” in team. You should have been taught this when you played rocket football. Common Man

26. By james j wood on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

wow! ican’t believe the Detroit Lions really signed Reggie Bush!

27. By stafffan on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

Beetle, I liked your comments, however, the part about the OL keeping players off Stafford is not true. I live in Athens,Ga. and do not get to see as many Detroit Games as I would like to see. I like the Lions! But, every time I saw highlights of the games, Stafford’s uniform was covered in dirt and grass stains from head to toe. EVERY TIME! He’s taking a beating. If the GM is smart he will take another O-Lineman this year with his first pick.

28. By cpat71 on Mar 19, 2013 | Reply

stafffan,

It may have seen that way, but Beetle is correct. The Lions had the best pass protection in the league last year. By a significant margin, actually.