Lions continue pre-draft look at receivers with USC’s Robert Woods

Posted by ttwentyman on March 12, 2013 – 1:20 pm

Any potential receiver drafted by the Lions has to realize one simple truth – they’re not going to be the top dog in Detroit.

That title goes to all-world receiver Calvin Johnson, who set the NFL record for most receiving yards in a single season last year with 1,964.

Former USC receiver Robert Woods, who was in Allen Park Tuesday for a one of the Lions’ allotted 30 pre-draft visits, doesn’t have a problem with that. In fact, he said he’s a little used to it.

Woods caught more footballs than any receiver in USC history and more than all but two in Pac-12 history. However, it was his teammate – sophomore Marqise Lee – who won the Biletnikoff Award as college football’s best receiver last year with 112 catches for 1,680 yards and 14 touchdowns.

“My sophomore year I was the runner up for the Biletnikoff, so coming into my junior year, I was like, ‘okay, I’m going to win it,’” Woods told Detroitlions.com.

“Then Marqise came out playing very well. It was a hot streak. He’s a great receiver and was making plays all over the field and he won the Biletnikoff.

“I had 111 catches dropping off to 73 so I understand. You never know what the game plan is going to be from week to week and I learned to adjust.”

Woods finished his junior season with 73 catches for 813 yards. That coming off a 111-catch, 1,292-yard, 15-touchdown sophomore season. He finished his three-year college career with 249 catches, 2,897 yards and 32 touchdowns.

Boasting some of the best hands in the class, Woods is lean (6-1, 190) and quick and fits the mold of an outside receiver at the NFL level. The same kind of outside receiver the Lions are on the lookout for.

Detroit Lions general manager Martin Mayhew and Co. have been doing their homework as of late on a number of the college game’s top receivers, including Tennessee’s Justin Hunter and Cordarrelle Patterson, both of whom visited Allen Park for pre-draft visits last week.

Woods should be able to quickly pick up a pro-style offense coming from USC.

“I’m a good route runner and I have good hands and I think that’s helped me throughout my career,” Woods said. “I think those will help me make a smooth transition to this level.

“I’ve caught 250 passes. All different ways: in traffic, deep, short, third down and first down. I think the experience of catching a lot of passes in a lot of situations – it won’t be anything new to me.”

7 Responses to “Lions continue pre-draft look at receivers with USC’s Robert Woods”

1. By rockbo1955 on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

Have the lions look at the kid from Iowa st wr ran 4.17 in the 40 ! that could really help CJ with this burner on the other side! just make drool ! what our the lions opoi n the rb UNC fast good hands!

2. By Sanders on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

It would also be worth taking a look at GVSU WR Charles Johnson. He ran a 4.35 at his pro day, and is 6’2″, 215 lbs. Plus very productive at the D-2 level. Don’t know where he will be projected at, but certainly a possibility.

3. By Sagmich on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

The Lions should take a long look at Ace Sanders, punt returner and wide receiver from South Carolina. Although the Lions have many more needs in the draft they can kill two birds with one stone with Ace.

4. By Dustin on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

The Lions must know who they are picking in the first round already, all these WR visits must be a look at who they will pick 2nd round. or Mayhew is just an idiot. Patterson & Hunter should be 1st rounders, why would they waste 2 of their 30 draft visits on 1st round WR’s? Woods could be a 2nd rounder though, he doesn’t drop the ball much & doesn’t mind playing the “Robin” role. We should be drafting defense the 1st three rounds. I thought schwartz was a defensive head coach? besides Suh and Fairley, they havent picked one player for the defense in the first two rounds. & they both play the same position. We better draft a LB (Jarvis Jones) first round and a Safety (Matt Elam) second if we ever wanna go anywhere.

5. By Dar Kur on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Lots of good options in this draft. We should come out of it with a great value 3rd round WR.

6. By bill on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Tavon AUSTIN !!!! PEOPLE. Special teams ,replace dummy Young. Kids a freak!!!!

7. By Randy on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

Robert would be a great fit wherever he winds up; he has shown consistency throughout his high school and college career. But, most importantly, he has a high football IQ, integrity and character…attributes that are hard to find in many of the athletes of today’s generation. Throw those in with all his physical abilities and skill sets and you get a great player for years to come!