Report: Cliff Avril set to become a Seattle Seahawk

Posted by ttwentyman on March 13, 2013 – 9:06 pm

Several media outlets are reporting that Cliff Avril is on his way to Seattle to sign a free-agent contract with the  Seattle Seahawks.

The Lions were never thought to be a serious contender to retain the talented defensive end’s services once he became one of the leagues top free agents. Avril was drafted and developed by the Lions, and those are always players you like to keep as an organization, it simply wasn’t in the cards for the Lions with their other needs and Avril’s contract demands.

Details of the deal have not been released, but Avril is expected to command somewhere around the $8 million per-year salary Paul Kruger was given by the Browns.

Avril had 35 tackles and 9.5 sacks and two forced fumbles last season. In 2011, he made a name for himself with 11 sacks and six forced fumbles on way to be named the Lions’ Defensive Player of the Year by his teammates.

The Lions signed free-agent defensive end Jason Jones on Wednesday, who just happened to play for the Seahawks last season.

Avril, 27, received the Lions’ franchise tender last offseason at $10.6 million.

He has 39.5 career sacks and 16 forced fumbles in six seasons, after the Lions drafted him out of Purdue in the third round.

17 Responses to “Report: Cliff Avril set to become a Seattle Seahawk”

1. By Rated PG on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Avril and his agent are fools. What happened to your over $10 million a year contract Cliff? Should have taken the money that was offered to you. Glad Mayhew didn’t continue to tag him. Obviously, we way overpaid for him.

2. By Raymond on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Maybe they can get him to play for 60 min. He will be a good fit with Seattle.best of luck cliff.

3. By Black Wolf Standing on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

I will be very disappointed yet relieved if Cliff Avril signs for less than the $10+ million he was asking from Detroit.

And if he really did Seattle a discount, I’ll say good Good Riddance!

4. By Steven Quinn on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Good Luck to you Mr Avril. I wish that we could have reached an agreement with you, but sometimes we have to make changes. Thanks for the memories.

5. By SuperBowl Bound on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

I bet Cliff is kicking himself now. Last year the Lions offered him a 3 year 30 million dollar deal, this year he got a 2 year, 15 million from Seattle. Sometimes it pays to be a team player instead of holding out for something better. Oh well, good luck in Seattle Cliff.

6. By connor on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

so we lose Cliff avril and get who to repalce a started

The lions are going to win ? next yr all i know is we are fucked in the mean time

7. By Dan on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

I heard 7 mil a year, he just wanted out. Later.

8. By mike on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

2 Yr/ 15 Mil. He knew we couldn’t pay 12mil+ for him, he could of just said he wanted out. Anyways I will be laughing when we go all the way without him.

9. By Ben on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

Hmm… Not exactly Mario Williams money, and here I thought that was the reason you were leaving, wanted the big money right? O well it is what it is I guess, best of luck, don’t let that money go to your head now ya hear?

10. By Ken on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

Lions offered him 3 years for $30 million and he said it was not enough (years and money). He ended up signing in Seattle for 2 years for $15 million. He was greedy and got burned. I have never seen the talent he is supposed to have. Wasn’t an impact player and didn’t scare offenses. Seattle can have him. He is a good role player but that was it. Lions played it perfect if you ask me. Go Lions.

11. By Dave "Waz" on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

Ken, that is text book for “hitting the nail right on the head”. I’ve been saying the same for about 2 years. He benefitted immensely from having Suh next to him drawing doubleteams and yet he was average at best. He was great in his own mind. Cliff is the poster boy for greed. He was miffed at getting the franchise tag put on him last year and played like it. He’s NOT a team guy and we don’t need the likes of him around.

12. By Lance Manly on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

LOL!

Had to take a $5 million dollar pay cut; at least, 3rd year is still uncontracted at this time.

I knew the Lions $10 mil/yr offer would be Avril’s best offer – too much in my opinion.

And if Lion’s meet them in the playoffs – I know how to beat Avril – RUN at him; inside first, then outside, then pass once he’s too confused to commit.

13. By JP O'Flaherty on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

I do not believe Avril is wroth almost 1million dollars a sack when he only had 39 tackles in 16 games? That is like 2 1/2 tackles a game. Is anyone gonna tell me that warrants a salary of $10 Million a year OR MORE? I’d say GOOD Riddance and wish him my best in Seattle. I am more sorry to see the loss of VandenBosch, who clearly invigorated the teams defense, and established an atmosphere where the players had pride in working and training hard. I remember practices under Wayne Fontes where the players laid on the ground laughing and talking (other than Barry) and we all know the results of his efforts. VandenBosch would have made a good D-line coach????????

14. By John on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

JP O’flaherty, you are oh so right,,,how sweet it would be to make VandenBosch the D line coach….He would be great. Now with all the dead weight gone, and the draft ahead of us, We may even be able to look at the offensive line? Would it be in the cards for Fisher to be there for #5 pick?

15. By tom harms on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

good luck cliff,i think you did a great job for the lions.i will miss you.i think its going to hurt the lions . good luck

16. By Shane Fountain on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Good bye cliff U suck , your selfish and we are better off with out ur greedy behind

17. By Rodney Burrell on Mar 16, 2013 | Reply

Shame on you Cliff! I thought you were the MAN!!!!
    Being Greedy! I’m Dissappointed in you,and no luck will you have in Seattle!!!