Lions ink G Dylan Gandy to one-year deal

Posted by ttwentyman on March 15, 2013 – 7:42 pm

The Lions have signed guard/center Dylan Gandy to a one-year contract for 2013.

The nine-year veteran will enter his fifth season with the Lions. He’s started five games over that span.

Gandy has been the team’s primary backup at both center and guard the last four seasons, though he’s seen little game action on the line during that time because players have stayed relatively healthy in front of him.

With the release of Stephen Peterman shortly after the end of last season, Gandy is now expected to compete for a starting role with Bill Nagy and Rodney Austin.

Gandy has played in 105 career games with 19 starts.

Tags: , ,

12 Responses to “Lions ink G Dylan Gandy to one-year deal”

1. By Black Wolf Standing on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

So, a career back-up is suddenly good enough to start? Or is it our starters left so we now have three back-ups on the roster?

2. By Jeff on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Lets hope it is a ..”.too close to call so we might as well keep starting the starters” bit.

May all be a mute point anyway depending on who the lions draft.

I also hope who ever starts and run block!

3. By Aaron on Mar 16, 2013 | Reply

There’s Sims, Raiola, and Reiff that will start this season. And there’s Fox and Hilliard at T to compete for the spot opposite Reiff. Then Gandy, Nagy, and Austin to compete for the other starting guard spot. We’ll be fine, if they don’t like how one of them fits they’ll give someone else first team reps. That’s what training camp and the pre-season is for.

4. By Charles on Mar 16, 2013 | Reply

If warmack is available I would love us to draft him. I haven’t seen a OG look so dominant at such a high level. I don’t like taking guards in a spot usually reserved for tackle but I think he might be the most valuable player in the draft and give the Lions the push in the middle they have missed on running and short yardage for years. If not him a rush de or a justin smith type de like the FSU kid. Otherwise corner bu the market is flooded with decent veteran dbss.

5. By Raymond on Mar 16, 2013 | Reply

This will make the draft the most important in recent years. Is there enough of the cap to sign j. Hanson ? Get y tickets early I believe the show will be award winning.

6. By ajarius44 on Mar 16, 2013 | Reply

we need to go out and get one of these tackles from free agency. There is still like 3 or four of them that is worth signing.

7. By Don on Mar 16, 2013 | Reply

I don’t know where we are going to be with our O-line or our D-line either?
    We have gotten better in the Backfield of our defense.
    However Both the D-line and the O-line Look or are starting to look thin.
    Backus, Cherilus, And Peterman are gone.
    Now we have Riley Reiff, Dominic Raiola,Fox,Bill Nagey, Rodney Austin, and Dylan Gandy? I know I’m missing someone?
    I am also wondering about other Men like Corey Williams? Where is he and why haven’t we heard anything about him? And yes I would like to see Jason Hanson back also. We lost Sammy Lee Hill! To the Titans? Kinda Ticks me off just a little bit anyway. I really liked both of those DTs And one is gone and one No Info on at all? Corey is a FA isn’t he? I know that Suh and Fairly can do the Job however they have to have a break every once in a while. And what, are we going to the 3-4 defense? If we are we better start picking up some LBers. And even then you still need another DT and others to give them a break. I will feel a lot better about the O-line if we take one of those OTs in the Draft. However, if not, Like Ajarius44 said we should go get one of these OT in FA There is no Guarantee that the OTs will be there in the draft.
    Sebastian Volmer/ OT/ Patriots
    Andre Smith/OT/ Cinci, Bengals
    Jake Long/OT/ Miami
    Again Long winded,Dang!
    GO LIONS!

8. By Frank in NC on Mar 17, 2013 | Reply

To em there is a fine line between “star” and “perfectly capable” players on both the offensive and defensive lines. Why weep over our losses? Is the loss of 2 or 3 sacks on defense (Avril)or 2 or 3 sacks against on offense something that can’t be overcome with improvement in other aspects of the game. Every year teams have players blossom into “stars” or “perfectly capable” that no one expected to do so. Why can’t the Lions have this happen? You can’t build a team by buying pre-made stars in every position IMO. Why can’t a Nagy, Gandy, Austin or any other of the Lion prospects/backups blossom? I believe it is possible they can.

9. By Jerry on Mar 17, 2013 | Reply

The free agent tracker needs to be kept up to date.

10. By Dave "Waz" on Mar 18, 2013 | Reply

Somebody that desperately needs the protection seems to be the last holdout on restructuring his contract. Come on Matthew Stafford. Step up to the plate and take that necessary step that others on the team have done and make that room under the cap to buy some of that desperately needed beef up front.

11. By twelsh36446 on Mar 18, 2013 | Reply

They will address some of the offensive line needs during the draft and after teams make cuts during preseason. I’m not to worried about it yet, but if they don’t get Eric or Luke in the first round I will be worried for sure.

12. By Black Wolf Standing on Mar 20, 2013 | Reply

It’s been a few days since my first comment on here. Looking at who we picked up in FA, we still need some LB’s. We are basically last years talent levels with our LB’s. And that was some of the worse LB’s in the league.

As of right now, our club’s biggest bang for the pick would be getting an explosive game changing LB in the draft at number 5.