Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on March 19, 2013 – 10:26 am

Now that the Detroit Lions have been awarded two compensatory picks, the team has eight selections in 2013.

Round No. Overall Note
1 5 5
2 4 36
3 3 65
4 5 102 Traded to Minnesota
4 35 132 Compensatory
5 4 137
6 3 171
7 5 211
7 39 245 Compensatory

13 Responses to “With the addition of compensatory picks, the Detroit Lions have eight selections in 2013”

1. By Ken on Mar 19, 2013 | Reply

I’d be willing to trade all these picks in for three good solid players. No use drafting guys if you’re not going to play them (special teams don’t count). I didn’t see much of any of our draft picks last year. Reiff played about as much as I did and Lewis/Lewis from OK didn’t see much time. Broyles was hurt and so was Bently and Greenwood (sp?). We did see Green in the secondary a little last year. I heard Whitehead looked great in practice. For heaven’s sake, if you’re going to draft them then PLAY them. When the season was over in week 11, put those guys in. If they stick, cut them. Go Lions.

2. By rockbo1955 on Mar 19, 2013 | Reply

Wow7 top five picks in 1,2,3,4,5,6,7Plus two other picks 4,7 HAVE A TOP 5 PICK IN THE ALL 7 ROUNDS is great 8 total ad if tjhey trade down they would get at a leasts a number one and 4 for this year draft then we could finish the job with the draft getting ten players!

3. By Kdog on Mar 19, 2013 | Reply

We do not have a top 5 pick in round 4. It was traded to Minnesota. We only have the 35th pick in round 4.

4. By /josh on Mar 19, 2013 | Reply

Ken,
    The reason that we drafted those guys were so that they could play. Reiff was used as an extra run blocker and was drafted for the purpose of replacing Backus, which he now will. The others saw split playing time and did so because they needed to learn our system and how to play at the NFL level. You don’t want to put guys in before they are ready. The great NFL teams understand that their picks from 3 or 4-7 are development guys that have certain skills that a team likes. They will get their shot, that’s why Durant and co. didn’t get resigned, now we can evaluate them.

5. By Bleedlionblu on Mar 19, 2013 | Reply

Someone tell me why we don’t get dumervil

6. By juice5114 on Mar 19, 2013 | Reply

how can u say reiff didnt play last year he played in most every game he only started one tho might be what u meant.. green and bently played last year the only ones who didnt play any really are greenwood and the lewis boys broyles played when he was healthy so not sure what ur point was but u were off a bit..and trust me if greenwood would have been healty we would have seen him..the reiff era starts now

7. By Jeff on Mar 19, 2013 | Reply

When did we trade that #5 in the 4th round?
    Thats going to hurt…you can get 2nd rounders who drop with eary 4th round picks…..bummer

8. By Black Wolf Standing on Mar 19, 2013 | Reply

Riley Reiff was drafted to be Jeff Backus’s replacement. Reiff is a natural Left Tackle. So, he should start at Left Tackle unless we get a better replacement for him. And so far, Reiff looks to be our best lineman.

If we can draft Jarvis Jones, we would have the edge rusher we need when we go with the 3-4 look, and we’ll have 5 people that can get the passer when we have our 9-wide 4-3 look. Jarvis is also mobile enough to run down edge rushers from behind. That will leave Tullock in the middle to clean up any draw up the center.

And we have some very good DB’s this year. No need to draft Milliner with so much talent at DB now. We need our 5th pick to be in a place of need and be an immediate impact player.

It’s almost looks as if the Lions are trying to hide who they are going to draft at number 5 just to make sure the Eagles don’t trade down to pick up extra picks. I just don’t see the Lions trading down because we need that blue chip impact guy too much this year.

9. By neil on Mar 21, 2013 | Reply

dont look so deep into it guys. We got Bush to give megatron room and we re signed houston and got Glover and levy. I think we will draft what we need and who is best available and go from there. GO LIONS

10. By Shannon on Mar 22, 2013 | Reply

If i were a member of lions management
    id trade down& load up on on draft choices! just like
    the rams & minn did that last year! both ne & balt
    do the same game plan: trade dwon double the pick
    cpont & win super bowls!! they believw in quanity over
    quality picks!!!

11. By frank on Mar 22, 2013 | Reply

my revised mock draft

1. luke joekel ot oklahoma
    2. cornelius carradine de fsu
    3. dallas thomas ot/og tenessee
    4. jack sudfeld te nevada
    5. jelani jenkins olb florida
    6. michael mauti olb penn state
    7. caleb sturgis k florida
    7. robert lester s alabama

dream scenario trade 2014 & 2015 #1 pick for a top-4 1st round pick or trade the 2nd round pick and the 2014 1st round pick for a top-4 1st round pick, pick joekel and ansah in the 1st round.

12. By Don on Mar 23, 2013 | Reply

This is a little off Subject, However it is about Football and concerns the Lions.
    Well the Lions may not be concerned? (:
    Anyways I will try and not be to long winded ok?
    I was just wondering why we haven’t been Looking to free agency at all anymore.
    And it must be about money. But, if it is not about Money and we could somehow pay one of these DEs It would make my smile even bigger than it all ready is with the signings that YA,LL have allready made.
    I would love to see us signing players like Dwight Freeney or Osi Umenyiora.
    And then still Pick another DE in the draft also.
    I also would love it if we took one of the three OTs in the draft.
    Then I am wondering with the Great relationship that Jason Hanson has with our Great TEAM The Detroit Lions! And I believe with the Owners The Ford Family really. Any ways I know this seems SO crazy to even ask.
    But is there any way that Jason Might play this Year with a VERY Low Salary, “League Minimum” And then redo the Payment Arrangement with a larger Payment coming Next Year. I Really have the Dream of Jason Hanson and the Lions in the Superbowl And Jason kicking the Superbowl Game winning field goal ! I know it is a Dream. And in really I also see us “THE LIONS” Winning the Superbowl by completly blowing the other team away! (: Either Way it will be great when it happens no matter how we WIN IT!
    I LOVE THIS TEAM!
    GO LIONS!

13. By Troy on Mar 25, 2013 | Reply

hey call me the odd ball, but the Lions still can sneak up on the league since NO ONE see’s them as a contender with the exception of us loyal fans. I say we NOT let Titus Young & his situation affect us during the draft & we just GAMBLE. I like Ogletree (OLB) out of Georgia & The Honey Badger out of LSU (since both these dudes are considered damaged goods). The rest of the pieces are already in place for us to SHOCK THE WORLD…………………………….