Report: Lions DE Ronnell Lewis arrested

Posted by ttwentyman on April 23, 2013 – 7:35 pm

Detroit Lions reserve defensive end Ronnell Lewis was arrested this past Saturday on three misdemeanor charges after an altercation at a bar in Norman, Okla., reports Jake Trotter of ESPN Sooner Nation.

“We are aware of the incident involving Ronnell Lewis,” the Lions said in a statement. “We are in the process of gathering more information and have no further comment at this time.”

Lewis, 22, got into the altercation early Saturday morning at Logan’s on the Corner, located in Norman’s Campus Corner entertainment district.

Lewis was tasered by an officer when the fight spilled outside the bar and he refused officers orders to stop fighting.

Police booked Lewis on complaints of disturbing the peace, public intoxication and interfering with official procedure.

Lewis was a fourth-round draft pick by the Lions last year. He appeared in eight games, mostly on special teams, with two tackles.

Last month, safety Amari Spievey was arrested in Connecticut following a dispute with his girlfriend. Spievey was charged with assault, misdemeanor risk of injury to a child and misdemeanor disorderly conduct.

Spievey entered a family counseling program and all charges are expected to be dropped.

23 Responses to “Report: Lions DE Ronnell Lewis arrested”

1. By Jim on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

The police officers tasered him twice according to different sources, before they actually gained control of the situation.

2. By Mike on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

Cut him now. This can’t be tolerated. They all got warnings at the end of last season. Spievey was different. Since it was a domestic situation and it is quite likely it was the young woman’s issue. The reports seem to indicate she was paid support and started the the whole thing. But this Lewis creating and issue. Cut cut cut

3. By staffordwives9999 on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

So another Lion arrested with a misdemeanor. Time a team leader steps up to be an example. Do I hear Felony!

4. By Oldcat on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

These ongoing arrests are a reflection of how stereotypes are established. I wonder what Bill Cosby would have to say on the matter? Such sad, pitiful and irresponsible acts by people you expect just the opposite from. Too many athletes are successfully doing what it takes to lose respect for all. At this rate, it won’t be long until athletes are viewed in the same light as politicians. Shameful…

5. By Benn on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

To flatly put into action a zero-tolerance policy with regard to “extra curricular activity” within the Detroit Lions organization or any other NFL organization is probably against the Collective Bargaining Agreement, however, absent that I think it’s safe to presume that the news media will have plenty of these occurrences to read about and watch on SportsCenter from now until the end of time.

You start with young men who are still kids as far as the “normal” society views them, from an age standpoint, who are thrust into the limelight of professional sports without having to spend a week as counter help at a fast food joint, for example, as do most typical people of that age group, who are signers of contracts that, without sports, would never be imaginable, and you end up with a lack of respect for societal expectations.

There must be some system of education that extends into the “real world” for gifted athletes who turn professional. The trick is who will structure such a program and how can its implementation be assured? Perhaps if there was a clear picture that highlights the number of aspiring pro ballplayers that “never made it to the show” that could be capsulized in a “scared straight” style documentary and played at every rookie training camp facility that would be a start.

But, when the gifted and already successful athlete falls from grace and more or less winds up with a slap on the wrist, the message falls on deaf ears or is so deeply diluted that it is rendered meaningless. If the athlete who falls from grace eventually falls to Earth, the reality-based Earth upon which 99.9% of the rest of us live, it might make a significant difference. The up-and-coming future superstars might have someone to point to, saying “WOW, look what happened to (whomever), I better be a little more careful about the roads I choose to travel.”

Until then, I see nothing to make me think that stories with headlines similar to this one will be any less prevalent. Sadly!

6. By Jerry on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

Cut him!

7. By Jayke on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

You guys are over reacting. A 22 year old kid got in a fight. He wasn’t out doing drugs or shooting someone. If you think he should be cut for this than there is something seriously wrong with the way you think. His first offense.. I am 20 and I know that the best way for my age group to learn is the hard way. Schwartz will take care of it. What you are really missing is.. How bad this dude is to keep fighting after getting tazed.

8. By Mike H on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

There can be NO tolerance for this crap. Cut Him…Right Now.

Team Leaders should INSIST that he be cut. We saw the results of a

distracted team with last year’s 4-12 record

9. By Terrence on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

The organization can’t afford another off-season filled with black-eyes, and Lewis should be smart enough to realize that he’s not good enough to get too many chances. The guy played one defensive snap last year, and wasn’t an obvious standout on special teams. I’m not in the locker room and on the practice field enough to know, but if he hasn’t shown anything special in those two places to key personnel, he should be released.

The commissioner’s stance on ‘conduct detrimental’ is enough to get a team past any potential CBA issues.

10. By Black Wolf Standing on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

Draft is looking more favorable to drafting a CB with the 5th pick and maybe drafting a DE or versatile OLB later in the draft.

11. By Black Wolf Standing on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

Er, I meant draft a DE with the 5th pick.

12. By Raymond on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

9th arrest in two off seasons with three months to go till 2013 season starts play. Madness ! Release Lewis send another message.

13. By Detroit Panther1 on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

Lions, please get a person in place like the Dallas Cowboys did with Calvin Hill to mentor these young people. Not a captain, an official of the team. These young players today, are different from us “Old Schoolers”. Some of them need a little time and a little guidance to grow up. Remember, all they have ever done is “played” and played football. Yes, I am a football coach.

14. By Detroit Panther1 on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

Props to Nate. He is representing us ( the Lions and the City ) very well. He has a future on the NFL Network.

15. By Dan on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

Later Lewis, you will not be missed.

16. By Dan on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

Funny how that works out..

17. By Don on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

Apparently those who have not ever taken a drink cast the first beer.
    I am not trying to be funny. Most Of this Generation and the generation before that and Oh yea the generation before that for most people, NOT ALL have taken a drink at some point in their lives. Not that I am condoning drinking either.
    I am just trying to say that drinking is part of our society. And some people drink every once in a while, some people drink a little more but, not so much that they get drunk. Some people have A drink every day. some people Never drink at all.
    And some people drink, and drink a lot, some people drink a lot every day. Some people drink only once in a while, like on the weekends or when they Go to the games or to a party. Or on vacation. Other wise they might not drink at all except for those special occasions. for some people every day is a special day.
    I don’t know Ronnell Lewis that well to know How it is that he drinks.
    What I do know is that Ronnell Lewis Might have a Drinking problem.
    I myself, if it was me, I would have to say that I have a drinking problem if I get that drunk that I start to fight inside a public place or even If I drink inside my home and fight with the people inside my home.
    For, most people, that drink, until they get drunk, they Usually have a problem.
    There is a Real World system of education for People that have a Problem with alcohol. But, when this Real world organization is mentioned everyone Cringes and think s WHA? I’m not going There! Because there is a Stereo Type associated with that Educational group. It is Called AA or Alcoholics Anonymous.
    There are ton’s of meetings that everyone or anyone with a drinking problem is welcome to go to When ever they need to. And whoever goes there and really wants to stop drinking, Can. If they want to.
    I am pretty sure that it has like the best track record for helping people to discover if they have a problem. And then they have a system That will help them to stay Sober for long periods of time.
    There are people though that Maybe don’t accept what the program is trying to tell them and sometimes they don’t stay sober for very long.
    For some people looking at not drinking for life! What the? So you may want to think in terms of one day at a time. You know that seems like just a short time, Anyways I hope the best for you Ronnell. Oh I just want to say one more thing, and that is that I have gone to this educational organization and there are a ton of good people there that want the same thing that I wanted. And Life can Really be great, I know that it doesn’t look so good right now Donnell.
    But, well I hope you give it a try maybe and if you like it? who knows!
    Oh and for you all that want to blame the coach’s for this kind of stuff, Get real These aren’t JR high Children. They are Men and ALL men have choices!
    There is not a Coach in this League that can Stop something like this.
    I am wondering however, How many other Teams have players that are being busted.(Sorry other Men on other TEAMS). But it sure seems funny that the LIONS players seem to get arrested, oh yea Other players on other Teams get busted but not three or four players on one team and then some people try to blame the coach’s and say that the coach doesn’t or cant control their players. What is a coach supposed to be? What are they Baby setter’s? These are grown men, Not high school kids. However Lions players that keep getting into trouble or any players on any team.
    There are penalties to that sort of thing. maybe at the Next owner’s meeting they should discuss What kind of penalty that should come with getting busted a second or third time. Maybe Teams can be able to fire a player and get another draft pick for the man that the Team had to let go. In the Next draft! Or just let the offender go, like three strikes your out. And can’t get back in. And the Teams can take a player that either went undrafted or be able to wait until the next draft and get a draft pick for the same pick and round that the player lost came from. OOPs another long winded write up that noone wants to spend the time reading. Ok I’ll fix it, I tried I cant shorten it, I just can’t!
    GO LIONS!

18. By wascoweywabbit on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

Are the LIONS brass standing outside of REHABS looking for draft prospects ????? Are the LIONS the only team with these IMMATURE and UNRESTRAINED players ????? Is “AMOUNT of ALCOHOL and DOPE ABLE to CONSUME” a REQUIREMENT on the JOB APPLICATION. I have 20 + YEARS of sobiety. I am available as a CONSULTANT. LOL What DON said in his “RANT” is true. I’m WAAAAY TIRED of our LIONS being the joke of the NFL !!!!! Last time they won a CHAMPIONSHIP was the year I was born !!!!! (Does that make me a curse ?????)

19. By Benn on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

WOW, Don. I thought my diatribe was long-winded. LOL!

20. By considerpeace on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

News whores desperate for stories. The funny part is how some of you react. I hope Calvin never picks his nose in public.

21. By Diane on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

It might help if you people knew anything about these men before you go off on a tirade about them. I personally know Ronnell. Watched him play high school and college football and this is so out of character for him.

22. By Black Wolf Standing on Apr 30, 2013 | Reply

@considerpeace: Calvin did pick his nose in public! But he was tactful and polite by dropping it after he started to stand up but before he completed the motion so it didn’t count.

@Don: This story about Ronnell was NOT about him drinking. It was all about him getting into a fight. You are making an assumption that drinking and fighting go hand in hand. They don’t and that’s why most readers are saying dump him. And also look at Ronnell. He’s a marginal at best DE. and now that Detroit drafted two DE’s, he’s on the outside looking even further out. Detroit will at most keep four DE’s on the 53 man roster. Now who should they keep? An undisciplined drunk who is marginal? Or four players who are trying to make the team a playoff champion? Things Ronnell could do right now is plead guilty and get this behind him. Do his jail time. And enter rehab. Then if he can increase his production, maybe he’ll still have a job in the NFL just not with the Lions.

23. By Black Wolf Standing on Apr 30, 2013 | Reply

“Having only three DE’s on the roster, I don’t know if the Lions can afford to cut him. But his undisciplined actions speak volumes about him and his character. I don’t think the Lions can afford to keep him.

Draft is looking more favorable to drafting a DE with the 5th pick and maybe drafting a DE or versatile OLB later in the draft.”

First pick (5th overall) – DE Ziggy Ansah
    4th pick – DE Devin Taylor
    9th pick – LB Brandon Hepburn

I had the draft pegged. All three of these picks will make the 53 man team. There is an extreme outside chance that all three could be starters.

I like Hepburn because he could play both inside or outside LB in our 4-3 and can play inside LB for when we do play a 3-4. Look at him to replace Tulloch when Tulloch decides to retire or try FA.