Posted by ttwentyman on May 7, 2013 – 12:03 pm

I learned this morning after speaking with Detroit Lions general manager Martin Mayhew that second-round pick Darius Slay has undergone minor and successful arthroscopic knee surgery due to a torn meniscus.

Darius Slay

The Lions initially thought that Slay wouldn’t have to have a procedure done.

In fact, the knee never even bothered him. Following an MRI, he was told he had a torn meniscus.”I’ve been working out on it, I’m great,” said Slay during his introductory press conference.

The Lions opted to take the safe route, however.

Mayhew said that the collective medical opinion was to do the procedure now to allow Slay to put the knee issue behind him once he begins his offseason workouts.

It would have been nice to see Slay work out with the rookies this weekend, but — considering how minor this surgery is — the hope is now to see him fresh and ready to go with the vets.

Tags: ,

20 Responses to “Darius Slay undergoes minor surgery and will not participate in rookie mini-camp”

1. By Sagmich on May 7, 2013 | Reply

Just what I said. I knew his knee was more serious than was thought. This is why I do not like it when they draft a player who has had an injury. Now who knows how long till we see him on the field. Two players now that may not be in every game. Delmas and Slay. Wasted draft pick imo. No surgery is minor especially when it comes to knees.

2. By Bill mason on May 7, 2013 | Reply

Best to have this done now. Have faith on Mathew and Schwartz. Let’s be positive people!!

3. By broccolilava on May 7, 2013 | Reply

The surgery was optional and they opted to have it done now. This guy is legit and will be a great corner for Detroit. Calling him a wasted pick is just plain wrong. People are so quick to abandon ship, these days.

GL Darius. Get better soon.

4. By Sagmich on May 7, 2013 | Reply

That is what they always say the surgery is optional. No one but no one can play with a torn meniscus. Surgery is always the way to go. No one said he is not legit. Yes, well lets see how many games he plays and how stable that knee really is. Who is abandoning ship I have been a Lions fan since 1959. I just did not like the pick just like you did. My opinion and your opinion. Just a’holes we all have one. If you had a knee injury like I did then you would know just how much it takes to get back. Not everyone is AP.

5. By bobby on May 7, 2013 | Reply

ive had the surgery they are talking about, i was up and walking in two weeks, and im a big guy, i was a lineman in college and had a scope done,they cleaned out the torn cartige and repaired the meniscus so maybe mine was more heavy duty and my point is i was walking in two weeks, hes in a hell of a lot more shape than i have ever been and his knee is less serious than mine so mark my words he wont miss any games due to that knee

6. By Sagmich on May 7, 2013 | Reply

Yes I did forget that the surgery from 20 years ago that I had was so invasive and it took a long time to heal. The walking time is the same though. Except if you had the surgery back when I did you were not allowed to walk on it right away. I sneaked around but it hurt to put pressure on the knee. This surgery really is nothing compared to the old ways. So, I will go with you since you had the surgery and eat some crow. Maybe he will not miss a beat. Thank you.

7. By elreydeleon on May 7, 2013 | Reply

Here we go again! I thought we had a solid defensive backfield with the addition of Slay. I’m pretty sure recovery time will be short but football recovery, that’s another thing.

8. By JayG on May 7, 2013 | Reply

It’s kind of funny how people think that the Lions drafted a truly injured player. I’ve had this surgery twice and it takes about 3 weeks to get back into action. At week 4 I was running and playing full speed like it had never happened. If he’s as good as the Lions think he is for where he was drafted then this injury will not even come close to effecting him on the field when he reports to camp.

9. By The Bronco on May 7, 2013 | Reply

I have had several meniscus surgeries and you can come back and trot around in a manner of weeks. It is a cartilage tear that simply needs to be snipped off. If you snip it now, then it won’t tear any further. I played with tears for months also before getting them snipped, because the tiny tears usually are not a problem. They are simply catching it now, rather than in perhaps December, which knocks him out of the playoffs. Ligament damage is entirely different and can be more serious.

10. By Mike Barnett on May 7, 2013 | Reply

Guy’s he will be ok! Slay will not miss any of the vet mini-camp or offseason workouts. And he will be the starter on opening day!!!! We all want him and the Lions to play and win, and they will. Let’s Go Lions

11. By Sagmich on May 7, 2013 | Reply

Mike, You are very optimistic and I like that.

12. By Mike Barnett on May 7, 2013 | Reply

Sagmich, I understand where you are coming from about getting a guy that has a knee injury. Im just like you and the other guy Bobby, I had the same surgery on my knee also and it was like everything had stop for me. But like in two weeks I was out and walking on it and doing lite running, so yes he will be ok, we was!

13. By Sagmich on May 7, 2013 | Reply

Mike, With today’s surgery I totally agree you are okay in a way shorter amount of time. Things change doctors have realized the faster you get on your feet and start to do exercise the better off you are. He will be ok, yes we was!

14. By Jerry on May 7, 2013 | Reply

This is just one of several questionable draft choices this year and over the past 4 years with Meyhew….. SOS! When are they going to figure out how to draft players???? We have to go back to the Russ Thomas years to find a GM that actually had a clue how to draft and even he was questionable. No matter how much they give a push to this year’s drafted players on this website in a flood of articles, this is yet another questionable draft performance by Meyhew and the Lions front office.

15. By ken on May 7, 2013 | Reply

I’m 56 years old, just had this surgery 2 weeks ago. I went into surgery at 1pm, was in recovery at 2pm, and they had me standing by 2:30. Used crutches for a day, a cane for a couple more when I went outside. By day 4 I didn’t need the cane anymore. Never had to take any of the pain meds they gave me. I think he will be just fine being 30 some years younger and in a lot better physical shape than I am.

16. By Jacob Cox on May 7, 2013 | Reply

I played my senior season with a torn meniscus, it didn’t bother me at all.

17. By Mike Barnett on May 7, 2013 | Reply

Jerry, I agree with you about some of the player’s the lions have drafted in year’s. But you cant say that Meyhew has done bad like Matt Millen when he was here? Meyhew has done a good job, it’s just when player’s come to Detroit they get hurt for some reason. But like some team’s when you take a player it’s a hit or a miss.

18. By Chris on May 7, 2013 | Reply

In some cases with a torn meniscus, the knee will heal itself with rest, time and medication. In other cases it may warrant a minor surgical procedure. It’s one of the least serious knee injuries that Orthopedic surgeons encounter. Yes it can be painful with the femur and the thigh bone limited with the tear, but once treated some can be ready for mild activities within two weeks or longer depending on the severity of the tear. Each of our knees have two menisci to use as cushion between the two bones and that’s where the pain comes from when you have a tear. So once again it totally depends on the severity. In all cases of a torn menisci the patients are told to be very optimistic toward a full recovery and never pessimistic. I would implore each of you Lions fans to do the same. It is HIGHLY unlikely he would not be playing in as many games and camps as he, the coaches, and the teams medical staff see fit.

19. By Chris on May 7, 2013 | Reply

Correction,,,,I meant to say the Tibia and Femur in my previous post. That’s what I get for looking over files, typing and having a glass of wine at the same time.

20. By Sagmich on May 7, 2013 | Reply

The Lions need better strength and conditioning coaches. I have been saying that for a very long time now.