Now a new dad, Reggie Bush has resumed working out with his teammates

Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on May 8, 2013 – 8:25 pm

Reggie Bush

“I’ve been back home in LA working out and just keeping the phone close to me, waiting for my fiance to have a baby.

“Leaving yesterday was very tough. I’ve been looking at baby pictures the whole time since I’ve been back. It was tough to leave, but I can’t wait to get back — I’m going back tomorrow after workouts.

“Each week I’ll be here Monday through Thursday with the team and I’ll fly back Thursday afternoon. I’ll be home with my fiance and the baby until Sunday, then I’ll fly back. If I need to, I’ll take a red eye Sunday night and get here early in the morning and then just come straight to workouts.

“I’m trying to avoid that at all costs and just fly out early Sunday, but things can happen — especially if the baby gets sick or something like that.

“Today was my first day on the field with the team — with the guys. Everybody seems pretty cool. I wasn’t surprised, but I was just pleased with how supportive everyone was of, obviously, me missing time and being back home to have a baby.

“You never know, it can go both ways. It can look one way when you’re back home and you’re missing time and other people are there, working and putting in time.

“Coach Schwartz has been the greatest throughout this process. I was really pleased at how supportive he was of me being back. It’s always valuable time any time you can be here, but the fact that he was supportive of me being back and forth for my baby and all that, that was really cool of him.

“While I was in LA, Stafford and I actually kept in touch and he just kept me up to date on what they were going over in meetings and new play installations and all that stuff. That really helped me out a lot.

“Now I’m just hoping to get up to speed with the offense — that’s my No. 1 priority. Then just being around the guys — the team — and preparing ourselves one day at a time for the season.”

Posted in Reggie Bush Blog | 41 Comments »

41 Responses to “Now a new dad, Reggie Bush has resumed working out with his teammates”

1. By Richard Alan Heyman on May 8, 2013 | Reply

I understand the new baby, and the desire to be close, but this sounds like more of the same. He is going to leave Thursday and return later Sunday night. It doesn’t sound like too much committment to the team or a winning season. Reggie has always been a problem child from USC and New Orleans and Miami and that Kardashian HO. I am betting Reggie becomes a major problem the first year, and we need a new RB. The Lions should get the ND kid ready to start. He isn’t fast but quick with good vision, and runs hard. Also, they should be getting someone ready this year to replace Raiola (long overdue). The Browns got that ND Center Nrandon Cave as a free agent, we should grab him if they cut him.

2. By Jason H. on May 8, 2013 | Reply

Richard, the man wants to be there for his new baby. Some things are and should be more important than football, no matter what the team’s situation is.

3. By Fo'real on May 8, 2013 | Reply

Bring the family to Detroit and focus on football and WINNING! Forget being jet lagged trying to prove your worth to a up and coming hungry football team. This is the NFL bro.

4. By Ken on May 8, 2013 | Reply

Richard relax… football is not more important than his child.

5. By Jimbean722 on May 8, 2013 | Reply

Thats whats up reg!!!

6. By chalie16 on May 8, 2013 | Reply

@Richard, you do realize that these are voluntary workouts right? Also off season workouts are Tue, Wed and Thurs. They’re not M-F.

7. By Scot W Brown on May 8, 2013 | Reply

@Mr Hayman you must be the hardest dude i have ever heard of . I have not heard of reggie being in any trouble at all. Tou spund like a hater, like someone wishing he was in reggies shoes if you ask me. Just a shame.

8. By Scotty on May 8, 2013 | Reply

Time will tell, but I think you’re wrong. By all accounts he was a leader and a hard worker in Miami, I think he left the immature stuff behind in New Orleans. Spending a little time with your newborn in the offseason is not in the same ballpark as going clubbing with kardashians. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised this year.

9. By oregonlion on May 8, 2013 | Reply

that comment comes from someone who’s never had a kid. I love football. I bleed Honolulu blue and silver… I completely understand wanting to be home as much as possible. how can you compare being home with his baby to all the other crap he has done in the past? A baby is WAY more important than football, and I salute him for it.

10. By Augustine on May 8, 2013 | Reply

I Hope you have a good time.PS i am a big fan

11. By Himay on May 8, 2013 | Reply

That travel is going to mess you up, Reggie. Imo, not the smart route…

12. By Joel on May 8, 2013 | Reply

Yeah! You should put football before your family bro, what are you thinking? Dude he has almost three months to learn the playbook. Chill brah!

13. By Lionsfan on May 8, 2013 | Reply

What are you talking about?… He doesn’t even have to show up for the workouts, yet he makes time for it despite being a new father. If that doesn’t sound like commitment, then I think you’re just looking for an excuse to not like him.

14. By derick cleveland on May 9, 2013 | Reply

wow i thk i finally have a team thats complete on offense now to cover my defense

15. By Sagmich on May 9, 2013 | Reply

Richard, That was my thought when they signed Bush. Sometimes he can be lazy and does not give a crap. We will just have to wait and see which way this turns. We have no choice. He was a problem child every where he played. When he feels like playing he is very good but sometimes he just does not feel like playing. I hope they keep Bell.

16. By Jim Slaga on May 9, 2013 | Reply

The following are the only 14 days the Lions are allowed to have team activities. OTAs May 21-23, 28-29 & 31, June 3-4 & 6-7. Minicamp June 11-13. With a Monday – Thursday schedule I only see May 31 and June 7th as dates he would miss. And I bet he stays for June 7th as he could spend the next week at home. This scheduling will not be an issue. And like any job, you normally get a couple of days off when your child is born. This is not an issue as long as he is here full time for training camp.

17. By staff2cj4td on May 9, 2013 | Reply

this is no problem whatsoever! he is doing this for the beginning of summer, he will be here during the season obviously, good for him. Family before work, and def before a sport. he will be here and prepared, he has always been a very detailed and polished player, doesn’t have mental lapses

18. By broccolilava on May 9, 2013 | Reply

I can’t believe the comments on this post, talking to this guy like he’s a new fry cook, or something. He takes the time to post a blog about what’s going on in his life and he gets a bunch of armchair coaches picking him apart? It’s kind of embarrassing.

Thanks for the post, and congrats on your baby. Good luck this year. 2013 is going to be a ton of fun for Lions fans.

19. By TurnerBurley on May 9, 2013 | Reply

I Think it will all come down to the performance of Reggie Bush for If he performs well and works hard then no big deal but if for whatever reason he faulters this will at that point return to haunt him and the team

20. By Garrett on May 9, 2013 | Reply

I just watch A football life ON Barry and looking at these posts makes me feel embarrassed to be a fan, so with that I would like to say;
    1) Congrats on your new baby
    2) I just found out about my child on the way 7 weeks ago and you guys need to realize that football is a sport and the reality is its also a job for these guys, when my wife has the baby my boss would be just a cool as Coach Schwartz, and it’s a good thing that the moral is up! Life – Work – balance….it’s real, but you guys probably don’t have jobs which would explain the negativity!

3) we are as close to a complete team as we have been for years, so if any of you are sitting back and waiting to say I told you so, get a Purple/ Green / or Orange jersey and take a hike, this site is for fans, GET LOST

21. By ARLEN TERRELL on May 9, 2013 | Reply

From those of us who are Lions Fans down here in S. Florida { and are Dolphans}
    there were NO problems ever with Reggie Bush. His dedication to the Team and winning didn’t take a 2nd place to anyone. I’m so glad to see the Lions get him.

22. By slayisland on May 9, 2013 | Reply

I agree^ Congrats reggie. PS it can’t get no worse than Titus Young if u wanna talk problem child

23. By danny on May 9, 2013 | Reply

Richard, you are a moron and have no idea what your talking about.

24. By Chuck White on May 9, 2013 | Reply

Like Brocco, I’m taken back by the ignorance of those who criticize a man for being there for his new born child and the mother; these idiots’ comments are sure signs they’re either current or soon-to-be dead beat daddys.. They also show they’re from home settings that stands for anything but love and understanding. I guess we’ll just have to put them in the “Titus Young” category and hope they get real help real soon.

25. By Bruce Walker on May 9, 2013 | Reply

brocc, staff, Jim…You guys are dead-on correct! Congratulations, Reggie! I for one, am thrilled to see you in a Lions uniform (and so is my college-age son)! I admire your dedication to both you family and the team. It must be exhaustng with all of the travel! Then, when you are home, I suspect you are not getting a lot of sleep either, with a newborn in the house!! Been there!! Thank you for the effort you are making! most of us are excited to see the things this team will accomplish!!

26. By Black Wolf Standing on May 9, 2013 | Reply

@ Richard Alan Heyman: The Lions have somebody to replace Raiola. Seems you haven’t been keeping up on you news.

I think Bush will thrive in the Lions offense. Everywhere Bush played opponents stacked the line against him. Here, they can’t. In Miami, Bush got 2,000 yards in two years against teams sometimes putting eight in the box to force Miami to beat them with the pass. Anybody who drops just seven in the box against our offense is just giving away easy points to us. Calvin, Burleson, Broyles, and pick any other WR we have will just eat them up.

27. By eddie Hiller on May 9, 2013 | Reply

yes a person’s employment is important & football is a business but so is family. A family is important to & sometimes in life pro athletes have to do what is right there other things in life besides pro football. Yes being with his team mates on the practice field & game field is important to but sometimes pro athletes have to take a step back & be with there loved one football will always be there! So leave Reggie Bush a lone he has his priorities in order. When a athlete like Reggie & a story gets out like this some fans like to make a mountain out of a mole hill! It does not make a difference if he misses a couple days working with the team any way it is just mini camp & family is important!

28. By lks311 on May 9, 2013 | Reply

For those that are parents, try to remember how special the first birth was. Frankly, I’d be more concerned if he didn’t want to be around his girlfriend and new daughter 24-7.

And, this is only an issue if he performs poorly come week one. Which, the thought in itself is ridiculous because he will have ample time to absorb everything he needs by then.

Far as his family being in LA and him being in Detroit. I’d say that’s a plus. No distractions.

29. By Thomas McDavid on May 9, 2013 | Reply

Reggie I’m a fan of yours I’m in eastern ky I have always since I can temember been a lions fan I actually got really excited when I heard you was coming to the lions I hope you smash those na sayers in the mouth with a blow out year good luck on the field and congrats how does it feel looking at your baby that’s real I wish you the best have paitence your gonna be. Great

30. By Nicholas Thorpe on May 9, 2013 | Reply

It takes a real father to put everything in his life in order. Sounds like he is doing the things he needs to , to be the best dad and one of the best backs the lions have ever had let alone the NFL period. Keep it up MR. BUSH cant wait to see the 1500 yard season you have this year.

31. By doug on May 9, 2013 | Reply

I assume he’s referring to now and not training camp and the regular season. If he gets preferential treatment and doesn’t perform on Sundays, this will turn into a cancer faster than you can snap your fingers.

Yes Reggie you have a commitment to your family, but you also have just as strong a commitment to the people who are providing you the means to a good life for you and your family.

Just make sure you are properly rested and prepared to perform at your best on Sunday or this town will turn on you quickly.

Congrats on the baby. Now lets get ready to win a super bowl.

32. By rockbo1955 on May 9, 2013 | Reply

We get a decent RB and you all have the nerve to call him out on his child! All of you who being negative your not fans all you our constant complainers who no leg to stand on! The Idea of all this backlash on present and new players being hit hard with no substance at all ! I would like to take this time to apology for these so called fans who trying to spread constant negative everything! I would like to I am sorry to bush and all the players for this unfair and totally negative statements! This not true with real lions fan who have the full support from true lion fans!

33. By john white on May 9, 2013 | Reply

while im so happy you joined the lions,and loke forward to great things, you be sure to be the best dad you can to your little girl,we want a super bowl but you just receivered your mvp congraduations. super dad is there any thing better in this world

34. By jerry on May 9, 2013 | Reply

All you people who talk crap are going to be the ones, that say
    i new he could do if he did this or that. When he proves you
    wrong “Go Reggie”

35. By JD on May 9, 2013 | Reply

Richard . . when you have something to post that actually makes some sense feel free. Until then take your negativity and go move to Oakland.

36. By champ on May 9, 2013 | Reply

@ Richard Alan Heyman: we the true lions fans no longer care for you to be on our website. Since it is obvious no NFL team wants you as a fan. you can join the national ping pong fan club

37. By Bianca on May 9, 2013 | Reply

Look what does everyone expect he has just welcomed his FIRST baby girl into the world yes he is telling and showing you what his 1st priority is HIS GAME!! … do any of you have kids?
    he is flying here and there to be at both places especially with people like Richard Heyman all you are is a turning point Reggie will keep doing what he does best and keep playing the best especially with people like you out there thats constantly picking and picking and he knows theres going to be a lot of negativity right now so the only thing he will do is show you all how its done!!

Reggie I know and YOU know you’ve got this xx and with the support from your fans ever all the way out in Sydney Australia!! Stay positive

38. By anthony russell on May 10, 2013 | Reply

family before work always!!!! obviously Richard isn’t a father! bush will be fine and will be a great addition and weapon to the lions offense I heard josh cribs was coming in for a visit that would be GREAT if we can sign him he would definitely give us a lift for our special teams also can put him out there in the slot at times. GO LIONS!!!

39. By Matt on May 10, 2013 | Reply

@Richard This is his first child. He isnt like some players having and uncontrollable amount of kids with multiple women. This is his fiance and him sharing bringing new life into this world for the first time. And I dont know what problems you are talking about Bush when he was in college or in his pro days. Yeah he got his Heisman taken away but that doesnt mean he isnt a hard worker or a diva. He was key player on a Championship team. In fact if this article tells me anything is sounds like he is a hard worker on and off the field in all facets of his life like being a father. Good for him. Congrats Reggie.

Also we have two players that have played center. Bill Nagy played center with the Cowboys and “Big” Larry Warford also played center in college and was Kentucky’s back up center where they played a spread/shotgun offense (Yes I would prefer to keep him at guard).

40. By Levi on May 10, 2013 | Reply

lol, Richard is insane, Reggie has never been a problem for any coach or any team. If anything he is the hardest worker..stayed after an extra hour in practice to workout in miami..Reggie will thrive in Detroit, and will be a huge role model for the young guys.

41. By bmkmd on May 10, 2013 | Reply

Better he should be out drinking and confronting police officers when drunk? Or hiding hit and run auto accidents? Or getting arrested not once but twice for Marijuna affenses.
    I’ll take being a family man, wanting to be with his wife and newborn daughter any day. He won’t be doing that during the season.