Lions sign first rounder Ziggy Ansah; first team to have all picks signed

Posted by ttwentyman on May 10, 2013 – 9:43 am

Ziggy Ansah wasn’t going to wait around for the dominoes to fall before he signed his contract.

The No. 5 overall pick signed a five-year deal with the Lions Friday morning, becoming one of the first players drafted in the first round to agree to a contract. Monetary details of the deal weren’t immediately known.

It’s the earliest the Lions have signed a first-round pick since quarterback Matthew Stafford agreed to a contract before he was selected No. 1 overall in 2009.

It also makes the Lions the first team in the NFL to have all of their picks – nine in all — signed on the dotted line.

The Lions had Ansah as the third-highest rated player on their draft board and expect him to compete instantly for a starting spot along the edge of their defensive line.

That makes Ansah, cornerback Darius Slay, guard Larry Warford, defensive end Devin Taylor, punter Sam Martin, receiver Corey Fuller, running back Theo Riddick, tight end Michael Williams and linebacker Brandon Hepburn all under contract before the start of today’s rookie mini-camp.

17 Responses to “Lions sign first rounder Ziggy Ansah; first team to have all picks signed”

1. By slayisland on May 10, 2013 | Reply

Ayy GET MONEY LETS GOOOOOO

2. By Benn on May 10, 2013 | Reply

GREAT! Now, hopefully, and this will be a first; we can not only have them all under contract, but we can keep them ALL out of jail. At least until, say, mid season! Not said with an overabundance of sarcasm, by the way!

3. By Gabe on May 10, 2013 | Reply

As a BYU fan, I enjoyed watching Ziggy play for the year that he did at BYU. He is a fun player to watch and I hope he has a great and productive career in Detroit.

4. By The Only on May 10, 2013 | Reply

It’s not important to follow NFL players in the NFL. It’s almost entirely a waste of time. If you want to break down an individual talent you’re better off watching a sport like baseball or basketball not football.

5. By Don Alascbach on May 10, 2013 | Reply

Even though I’m not sold on Ziggy’s NFL potential,( however, I believe he is possible at being great rookie leader) I am however sold on the commitment of the entire Lions draft!.. This team has the capabilities to do something special as long as they stay healthy and focused!!

6. By Marc on May 10, 2013 | Reply

Now, let the team develop these young men into contributing members on and off the field. I will be even more impressed if half of the rookies will remain with the team in two years.

7. By Dorothy Lockard on May 10, 2013 | Reply

I am glad that these rookies all understand what it means to work hard and to bring the Detroit Lions into the playoffs and to make our team look like a team.

8. By JohnE on May 10, 2013 | Reply

Finally seems like a drama free draft class, Now let’s get to work and have a successful season.

9. By John kershaw on May 10, 2013 | Reply

About a Lions fan for at least50 years and they’ve never signed everyone before camp.. Hope that’s a good sign

10. By Lionsfan on May 10, 2013 | Reply

I’m liking this group of rookies already . :)

11. By Ken on May 10, 2013 | Reply

Now is the time to see who has talent. I realize we aren’t hitting yet but I think we can get an idea of who has the toughness and attitude to play this game. I think we can put together a quality team this season if everyone plays up to their potential and does their job…and stays out of jail.

12. By Brendan Sullivan on May 10, 2013 | Reply

Good now can you please get another linebacker like Urlacher or Dansby. Then get one more corner like Charles or Gamble

13. By Rhondal on May 11, 2013 | Reply

The Lions D-Line will be the most dominent in the NFL.

14. By mike on May 11, 2013 | Reply

newfish, new beginning.

15. By Jesse James on May 11, 2013 | Reply

Time to go to work boys i got faith in the Lions stay healthy and watchout NFL

16. By Don on May 12, 2013 | Reply

C’mon Fans, let’s not lay it on so thick about the jail stuff aye.
    There have been a lot of us out there that have had to learn things the hard Way, And I do not think that any of us are proud about the fact that we had to go the hard way. But, for a lot of us we are glad that we had are time to Straiten up and are grateful to learn the life lessons that we were taught.
    Yes, it would be great if all of us were perfect little angels that Never did ANYTHING wrong But, it doesn’t work that way.
    What is Great is when You do learn, and from those hard times comes some great lives and good men and women that actually do learn their lessons and from that time on live a useful and productive life.
    It is great to have all the rookies signed and I can’t wait to see these guy’s in action. I am hoping that there is enough room for everyone to see and sit at the open practices, if they have them and I know that i am looking forward to it and some of my friends their kids and gran kids too. there is a lot of time until then but it is all way’s a special time every year. Getting ready for the season!
    And I am REAL excited for this Season. This TEAM is going to be ready!
    I love the way this TEAM is coming together this year and I am expecting a lot out of this TEAM!
    I know a lot of People are worried about our OTs and all that But, not me. I know that all the guy’s that have been practicing studying and getting ready for this Will be ready for it! I remember when we picked Fox up in the draft I was hoping that he was going to take over a lot sooner and I think he would have if he wasn’t injured. His Tape from back at Miami was very convincing about the fact of weather or not he could do the job or not. He can do the job and so can Riley Reiff. And we also have Backup men than can do the job also or maybe the guy’s that I think will be backups will be the starters and Fox will be the backup man But, either way All of our OTs that we have signed can get the job done!
    Alright getting long winded again.
    I LOVE THIS TEAM! GO LIONS!

17. By nighttrain1 on May 12, 2013 | Reply

All draft picks signed and ready to go, for the Lions to sign everybody that fast says they are serious about vastly improving last year’s record.
    The so-called experts said the Lions would fall in 2012 but they would come back big-time in 2013, I’m starting to believe they may be right.