Reggie Bush: “In certain cities, football just means more”

Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on May 15, 2013 – 2:52 pm

Reggie Bush“I don’t have a feel for Detroit too much yet because I haven’t got out enough, but that will come in time. I’ve been out a little bit — went to a few restaurants — but I’m still learning the culture — the Detroit culture.

“I obviously know a little bit about it, but it’s always different when you’re actually there. You get a chance to learn the culture and the people and the language and the food and the music – all the different things that make Detroit what it is.

“I have met people in other states that are from Detroit and they always talk about the football team and how passionate the fans are about the football team. I got a chance to speak to Chauncey Billups who played for the Detroit Pistons for a while and he talked about that, too. It was one of the first things he told me was just how passionate the fans were.

“I think I kind of already knew that, though, just by being out here. Obviously it’s a great sports town — it was one of the reasons I was excited to come here. In certain cities, football just means more.

“For example, playing in New Orleans, no matter what, those fans always showed up. Even throughout the bad times. They were always in support and they were always there and it was always a football-first town.

“That’s the same kind of vibe I get here in Detroit. It’s a football-first town and no matter what – what I’ve heard – the fans are always going to be there to support the team through the tough times.”

Posted in Reggie Bush Blog | 28 Comments »

28 Responses to “Reggie Bush: “In certain cities, football just means more””

1. By Brent on May 15, 2013 | Reply

Sorry to burst anybody’s bubble but Detroit is a hockey first town.

2. By Carol Wadsworth on May 15, 2013 | Reply

Hopeing you can make a difference Reggie Bush, I so want the lions to win more than4 games this year, with all the new help there is bound to be a big change.

3. By Daniel on May 15, 2013 | Reply

Not necessarily…..check out center ice at JLA

4. By ken on May 15, 2013 | Reply

Ive always admired not only your talent,but the heart,emotion,and determination you have shown through out your career. You are a detroit kinda guy!!!

5. By Tore Hallstrom on May 15, 2013 | Reply

Reggie, when I saw that picture of you with your restored mustang I knew you would fit in just fine in Detroit, its what we do here, build and restore cars and trucks. We love our cars and we love our Lion’s!! Welcome to Detroit and GO LION’S!!!

6. By JP O'Flaherty on May 15, 2013 | Reply

Reggie, Detroit is a GREAT sports town, World Champion Detroit Pistons first with the incredible Isaig Thomas, and then Chauncey and gang. The Red Wings World Champions how many times (that’s why they call it “Hockeytown”). And what about the Tigers, World Champions in 1968, 1984, World Series last year, and better be a World Series Camp this year!
    Then we got the Lions, Great in the 50s, but other than the NFL’s ALLTIME GREATEST RUNNING BACK (the phenominal) Barry Sanders not too much. But now we have Matt Stafford clearly one of the top FIVE (5) QB’s in the NFL, and CJ (Megatron) the NFL’s Greatest EVER WR. Where will Reggie Bush fit in? You could have been one of the best RBs since Barry, but not so far. Too much partying, and Kim Kardashian! YOU are wasting your great talent! Do you Want to be Great (like Barry, Isaih, Megatron, Verlander and Cabrera)? Or just an above average RB, an underachiever?????? The jury is still way OUT! You have a chance to be great and help make this team Great, but I am betting you follow your past patterns, Here is Hoping I am WRONG!

7. By Maureen on May 15, 2013 | Reply

Welcome, welcome, welcome to the D, Reggie.

8. By Lucas on May 15, 2013 | Reply

Football definitely comes first in the D! We have had so many years of heartbreak, but we keep coming back for more. Some may call that stupid. Some may call that a fool’s errand. I don’t know what to call it, but it’s real, it’s palatable, and it’s something you should look forward to. There is a vocal minority, like there is in most things, but Detroit loves the Lions. We are thrilled to have you, thrilled to have many of the new faces here, and we can barely contain our excitement for the upcoming season. It has been said the off-season is the best season for Lions fans because they haven’t failed yet, but that falls on deaf ears in my neck of the woods. Go #21! Go Lions! And above all else, GO DETROIT!

9. By Chris Schram on May 15, 2013 | Reply

Reggie is quickly going to become a city favorite if he makes an impact on the field. He seems like he genuinely cares about city culture. That’s a great thing.

10. By lks311 on May 15, 2013 | Reply

All that article did was remind me of how much I miss Chauncey.

11. By Jason on May 15, 2013 | Reply

i still miss Chauncey too, what a mistake letting him go.

12. By Jason on May 15, 2013 | Reply

Good Luck Reggie, spending my vacation travelling from the UK to watch LIONS beat vikings at home then down to beat AZ in week 2.

Bring back Chauncey!!

13. By Black Wolf Standing on May 15, 2013 | Reply

In Miami, Bush ran for 2,000 yards in two years. That was seeing predominately 7 to 8 men in the box.

Just imagine what Bush is going to do seeing at most six men in the box? Teams can’t afford to put any more people in the box because of Megatron. Do the math: Six in the box to stop the run, triple team on Megatron, and just two people left to stop our TE and two other WR’s.

The only thing we can do is make sure Stafford hits the open man, because somebody will be open.

Bush will probably have the best year of his career. But everybody will have to thank Megatron for our offense.

14. By Mike Barnett on May 15, 2013 | Reply

I think Bush will have a great year here in Detroit. And after 5 or 6yrs he will end his career as a Lion, and be just as good as Barry. Let’s Goooo Lions

15. By thallusphx on May 15, 2013 | Reply

All Detroit Sports take a back seat in May and June to Hockey. Go Red Wings.

16. By Mike Barnett on May 15, 2013 | Reply

I all most forgot, I feel so sorry for Titus Young, he could have been a great player for the Lions. DAMN

17. By bill on May 15, 2013 | Reply

JP oh brother…

18. By james j wood on May 15, 2013 | Reply

I’ve been a Lions fan since 1970. when I was 7yrs old, I saw Tom Dempcey kick the winning field goal 63 yards! Detroit loves the Lions because Detroit is a blue collar city! Good luck Reggy, work hard and play harder!

19. By Bluesjunke on May 15, 2013 | Reply

The last time the Lions won a championship of any kind was 1957…..the year I was born. This team owes me a freakin’ Super Bowl. Let’s go, Lions!!!!!!!

20. By Tito on May 16, 2013 | Reply

James, who is Reggy?

21. By Carrie McCarren on May 17, 2013 | Reply

Thank you for your post, Mr. Bush & welcome to The Lions! We are indeed very passionate! We will give The Lions our never ending support, our hearts, & our pay checks!! We can also give them a “piece of our minds”, to put it politely. We love Detroit Football!!!

22. By Troy on May 17, 2013 | Reply

To this day…one of the greatest and most “Barry” like moves I have seen was Reggie bush splitting the AZ Cardinals defense. One of the best and most rare moves I have seen. Reggie has a quick first step and gets to top speed very quickly. Hes like running a dragster against a Nascar in the 1/4 mile. Good luck to you Reggie…you are going to do great things here!

23. By Don on May 17, 2013 | Reply

Reggie, I am very happy to have you on this Team. And with the Holes that I believe your going to have to run thru you could get 2000 yards this season.
    Which Means that Matt Stafford will probably get about 3500 to 4000 pyds This season. And also .with Matt showing everyone that he knows how to move the ball all around the field to all sorts of players and not just Megatron which he could have done last year and has done before. People forget when he was passing the ball to the other players on the Team. Like our TE and also to another receiver that I won’t mention at this time. People just do not understand yet that we have One of the Best QB that will probably ever play the Game. For some reason people in Detroit just don’t remember the first years that most QBs go through?
    Most QB’s don’t just come in and are great right away. some of them actually struggle a bit before they get their Teams together and fitting right You are going to be part of the Team that fit’s right.! And the rest of the players on this TEAM this year are going to be the rest of the players that fit right! I can’t wait to watch you run, and catch out of the backfield! It id going to be very exciting!
    In fact I can’t hardly wait to watch this whole Team get it all together like ONE well oiled Machine that Runs great! Like some Bad ASS HOT ROD!
    Let’s say a Shelby Cobra ! YA, that sounds right! Shifting those gears and flying down that track! Right into the ENDZONE!
    GO LIONS GO REGGIE!

24. By Hogfish on May 17, 2013 | Reply

Detroit Fans support all their professional sport teams.
    Detroit Lions fans are more supportive than most fans for we have suffered more losing seasons than any sports fancise. Detroit Lions fans have been ridiculed by opposing teams fans for so long, the adjectives are now meaningless.
    To have an entire generation of fans go through so many losing seasons and still be there to cheer our team on is because we have faith in the players. Coaches will come and go, some bad some good, we the fans support our players and want you guys to win. This is Detroit. This is Michigan. We love our sports.

25. By Dan Zuverink on May 18, 2013 | Reply

Go Reggie, Thanks for coming to the Lions, let’s have a super 2013

26. By TD on May 23, 2013 | Reply

JP, you pay attention to the media too much. Reggie has been my favorite player since he came in and he was always a hard worker and a great example. Sure, he dated KK but you presume that that’s what made him a party animal. Or the fact that the media focused on his life a lot. If you really knew anything about Reggie, he online likes the limelight for playing on the field and even in that he’s a team first guy. Always has been. He played for the Saints and if you haven’t noticed they don’t exactly give any of their RBs the ball so that’s the major reason why Bush hasn’t done what we expected not to mention a couple scuffs here and there.

Next time instead of showing and playing your hand so strongly, know what you’re talking about and then speak. It’s obvious you went with a perception instead of knowing the facts!

27. By Black Wolf Standing on May 25, 2013 | Reply

Personal Note to both Bush and Schwartz:

If you can bring a SB to the Detroit Lions, you will never want for the rest of your lives. If you come on hard times for what ever reason, you will always be able to count on the fans of this Great City to help you out.

MoTown is just that way.

28. By Black Wolf Standing on May 27, 2013 | Reply

In memory of Pat Tillman.

Rest In Peace.