Lions sign special teams ace RB/FB Montell Owens

Posted by ttwentyman on May 30, 2013 – 1:06 pm

The Detroit Lions got a little better on special teams Thursday with the signing of veteran RB/FB Montell Owens.

Owens, who turned 29 earlier this month, entered the league in 2006 as an undrafted free agent from Maine by the Jacksonville Jaguars and has played in 104 games over a seven-year career. He was released by the new coaching regime in Jacksonville earlier this month.

“The past seven years in Jacksonville, we’ve had three new head coaches, we’ve had three general managers and two different owners since I’ve been there,” Owens told detroitlions.com after his signing. “There was always a lot of turnover. A great organization, but there was always a new vision.”

Owens said the stability of the Lions front office and coaching staff was one of the things that ultimately lead to him signing with Detroit.

“Getting to a team that has a vision and is established and we know what direction we’re heading in was important,” he said.

A consistent special teams player, Owens (5-10, 225) was voted to two Pro Bowls in 2010 and 2011. He left Jacksonville as the franchise leader in special teams tackles (118).

He’ll rejoin coach John Bonamego, who was hired as the Lions special teams coordinator after spending last season in the same role with the Jaguars.

“I bring my hard hat to work,” he said. “I’m going to come here and work. A lot of it is going to be gaining the trust of my teammates.

“I’ve been a part of No. 1 punt teams. No. 1 punt return teams. I’ve seen it. I know what it takes. I’m a sponge in my own regard. I love to learn and whatever I have and whatever I’ve learned, I’m going to give away. It’s all about winning and everyone being on the same page.”

Owens made four starts on offense last year, when the Jaguars were ravaged by injuries at the position, and carried the ball 42 times for 209 yards (5.0 average) with one touchdown.

In his career, he’s also caught 12 passes for 132 yards.

19 Responses to “Lions sign special teams ace RB/FB Montell Owens”

1. By eddie Hiller on May 30, 2013 | Reply

That was a great signing

2. By rockbo1955 on May 30, 2013 | Reply

this was great sign and just in time!

3. By lionnuts on May 30, 2013 | Reply

I guess. But, how do you only have 12 catches and 132 yards in 6 years? Bush will get that in one game. I understand he is mainly Special Teams but , still…

4. By Lions Fan 1 on May 30, 2013 | Reply

Welcome to Detroit and glad to have heard you signed with the Lions .You’re definitely a player that is much needed on our special teams and etc. Go Lions !

5. By Thomas on May 30, 2013 | Reply

Great special teams signing

6. By chris on May 30, 2013 | Reply

Wow. What an incredible signing. I remember last year Jags fans were saying that they’d rather have MO and Rashaad Jennings splitting the reps over MJD starting. Even if he doesn’t see the backfield, what a great signing.

7. By dcdoan on May 30, 2013 | Reply

good fill in lions.

8. By rdub on May 30, 2013 | Reply

Because you don’t catch balls on special teams

9. By brion on May 30, 2013 | Reply

good sign, with Best likley not returning this also adds a little insurance at that position

10. By Josh on May 30, 2013 | Reply

@lionnuts: He isn’t going to play offense, period. That is, unless our backfield is ravaged by injuries much like the JAX backfield was last season. He’s a special teams player, and that’s what he’ll be paid to be. For an example already playing for us that is of a similar role, see Kassim Osgood. That said, with all the atrociousness of our special teams (coverage & return game), we need all the help we can get.

11. By Pass_the_M on May 30, 2013 | Reply

@lionnuts
    Jags fan here, Montell has always been a fan fav because of his special teams ( one of my fav plays is his fake punt run for a TD against houston) He was listed as a FB behind one of the best FBs in the game Greg Jones and FBs don’t normally get alot of chances to carry. especially when your team us usally stacked at the rb postion a good majority of the time. Last year was his first chance to start due to injuries and he showed he could run the ball even with a decimated oline. Alot of people thought he would get get a chance to stick because of what he showed last year…

12. By Doug on May 30, 2013 | Reply

Not sure what the $$ was for Owens, but great sleeper pick! Special Teams will benefit greatly and with the conveniently injury prone, pot smoking, Mikel LeNotSoSure, another experienced power back could come in handy. Strong work on this pick-up!! Well played!!!

13. By Mike Barnett on May 30, 2013 | Reply

Thank you good signing, No more downing the ball inside our 10 or 20yd line, with guy’s 10 to 20ft away from you.

14. By Captain Hindsight on May 31, 2013 | Reply

Why do we keep shopping at Jacksonville?

15. By Mike Sudds on May 31, 2013 | Reply

So, I’m looking at my Lions depth chart…Looks like the end for Wendling, or LeShoure if Owens makes the team.

16. By Drew on Jun 3, 2013 | Reply

Mikel Leishoure already came thru mean, stop dissing him over a little bit of green. 3 TDs against the Seahawks & gave us a win. 9 TD’s the whole season isn’t bad for his first year (including he had a 2 game suspension on top of it). Looks like we got a really good RB trio as it is of right now. Owen serves as a safe option as a number 4 on the depth squad & makes a promising addition to a much needed special team player who also feels comfortable with our new special team coordinator (John Bonamego). Good signing even if his asking price was high, great price if his asking price was low : )

17. By Jerry harty on Jun 3, 2013 | Reply

Welcome ,it can,t hurt !!!!

18. By Drew on Jun 3, 2013 | Reply

BTW great question Doug, wonder what was his contract price? And are we now doomed to sign a veteran Tackle to help protect Stafford?

19. By Don Ritchie on Jun 3, 2013 | Reply