Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on June 3, 2013 – 4:29 pm

Reggie BushPhoto: G. Smith/Detroit Lions

“I’ve enjoyed working with my teammates at the of beginning this journey and developing chemistry with the guys and the offense. Coach Modkins has been great. So far it’s been really good. No complaints.

“Getting to know my teammates, I’m not finding anything I didn’t already know or expect. Stafford – he’s great. He has a really strong arm. He seems like a very good leader. Seems like he has all the intangibles that you need in your quarterback. Calvin Johnson’s a beast. Nate Burleson’s another guy that’s a vet and seems like a leader and a hard worker. Again, another good player.

“Honestly, I believe there’s no excuse for us not to have the No. 1-ranked offense. We have all the right pieces and the necessary players here to be the top offense in the league. No excuse.

“Chemistry is something that takes time. It doesn’t happen overnight. When I was in New Orleans, we won a Super Bowl, but it took us a couple years. Our first year we had success — we went to the NFC Championship game. Then the next two years we didn’t even make the playoffs. Then all of a sudden that fourth year we won a Super Bowl. It takes time. It seems like a lot of these guys, they’ve all been here for awhile, they’ve been here together, and it seems like their chemistry is really good.

“In general conversation, guys ask how it feels to win a Super Bowl, stuff like that. Calvin asked me about winning a Super Bowl. That was pretty much it. I try not to bring it up too much because that’s in the past. This is a different team. Different team, different time. None of that is going to have any bearing on what we do. Only thing I can bring is my experience and hopefully my leadership and help the guys and help them by being a leader on this team.”

Posted in Reggie Bush Blog | 35 Comments »

35 Responses to “Bush: “Honestly, I believe there’s no excuse for us not to have the No. 1-ranked offense””

1. By Anthony Hill on Jun 3, 2013 | Reply

I am really excited to have you in Detroit. I’m sure the guys feel the same way. By the time the season starts I hope you’re all biochemists with all the chemistry going on with you.

2. By Justin Davis on Jun 3, 2013 | Reply

Let’s go lions

3. By Dean Ford Superstar on Jun 3, 2013 | Reply

Listen to this guy, Boy it would be Great to just see the Lions win 1 playoff game………Not since 1962 have the Lions won a playoff game………..Think about that one.

4. By Jeff Ellison on Jun 3, 2013 | Reply

Your right there’s no excuse.

5. By Toby James III on Jun 3, 2013 | Reply

The only thing I can see holding these guys back is the O-Line….If this line can block, this should be an exciting year.

6. By Don Ritchie on Jun 3, 2013 | Reply

Calvin deserves a Super Bowl. :(

7. By Rick on Jun 3, 2013 | Reply

Talk is cheap. It must be proven on the field.

8. By Jonathan on Jun 3, 2013 | Reply

Bush is right. We have the players to be #1. But with Schwartz at the helm, the Lions will only continue to underachieve.

9. By Darwin on Jun 3, 2013 | Reply

Setting a high bar and brokering no excuses is a good way to motivate everyone to perform their best. No one gets anywhere worthwhile without first setting a goal.

10. By Black Wolf Standing on Jun 3, 2013 | Reply

I totally agree with Reggie Bush. Teams cannot afford to put seven players in the box against our offense. That means if all our linemen can go one on one and the TE can take out the Blitzer, the Reggie Bush will be free to run deep in to secondary before the safeties can try to tackle him in the open field, Our running game and passing game are going to explode this year.

The only question is can the Lions set a new TD record?

11. By nighttrain1 on Jun 3, 2013 | Reply

The Lions do have all the pieces in place to become the #1 offense in the league, but that also comes with a price. The Lions will have to learn how to time manage their drives, I remember when Scott Mitchell was the QB and the Lions had this all powerful, unstoppable offense, they scored so quick and kept the defense on the field so long that about mid-way through the 3rd quarter the defense had no gas left to stop any teams drives. But on offense, that was the year both wide receivers and Sanders set records. 2 or 3 plays, score, a few plays later, score again.

12. By dmanzero on Jun 3, 2013 | Reply

The Lion’s offense will only be as good as the oline…and that’s still a ? I’m hopeful but we’ll see.

13. By broccolilava on Jun 3, 2013 | Reply

Great post from Reggie. I really like having him on the team, for his talent as well as his mentality. You can’t have enough positive smart veterans on a team. This season is going to be a lot of fun.

14. By Ben on Jun 3, 2013 | Reply

I LOVE that bush choice Detroit. With him we had a lot to your run and passing game. But as for leadership, this is not bush’s team. He is new and must understand that we dont need leadership from him, we need him to feel the big role we have been missing, and that is a good RB. If he can join this team without looking for to much “leadership roles”, then watch out, bc while Johnson will be the main scene, bush will secretly get 100s yard games without a lot of attention. This team is going to be good come fall…

15. By marcus on Jun 3, 2013 | Reply

We need better play calling first of all instead of those 3-4 yard dump plays when we need 12 yards on third down. I rather lose being aggressive then to lose playing like cowards.

16. By Shane Fountain on Jun 4, 2013 | Reply

reggie u have brought a whole new aspect to this team and it the high tempo offense we already have with u and Leshoure i dont see anyway we cannot be at the very least in the top 5 offenses in the leageu we are hopeful the defense is up therre as well ason made a good point that with the length they coul;d be very intimiodating this year with the speed and toughness of the defense and the quick respnse and coverage of our newly upgraded secondary and the offense maanageing the clock whileon the field i see a possible 12 and 4 season aheadif us and a oppostunity to make a bowl run Lets get it boys this is our year

17. By John Hartman on Jun 4, 2013 | Reply

I am glad they are redoing the offencive line. Wtth the wepons we have, To fix the offencie, The line is the place to go I think they are begenning to fill the last of the holes that they had when they came. I think you will see a new Lions Team this Year..

18. By portsee on Jun 4, 2013 | Reply

Lashore can help if he becomes the power runner he is there for. Run north and south and gain positive yards. He can’t be brought down as easy as he did last year. Balance and ball control is the key to success this season. To many times drives were stalled. Having said that Bush adds an element that defenses have to plan for.

19. By Koakiemac on Jun 4, 2013 | Reply

I love all the pieces the Lions have! There is one group of guys on the team that will determine whether the Lions will be great. That will be the offensive line which is in experience, lack chemistry, and a bunch of unproven atheletes patch together. I do think the defense of line even tho they are young will produce and dominate.

20. By Dave Coyle on Jun 4, 2013 | Reply

Every year we bring in new players that say the same thing….remember when we brought in Nate and he said the same thing?!?! Words are cheap but actions speak loud!!! I get my hopes up every year only to be let down when the season is on its way!!! I HOPE this is the year because I do believe we have the right players to get it done, as long as no one gets hurt!!! Been a LIONS fan for many years, good or bad years, so hope that one year they will make and even win a Super Bowl!!!

21. By Mike Sudds on Jun 4, 2013 | Reply

There was a breakdown somewhere (can’t remember where) that indicated that the 2012 Lions offense faced a record number of snaps where there were only six defenders in the box. This was far from anomalous considering that the Lions set a record for drop-backs and pass attempts. It was disconcerting nevertheless.

It goes without saying that Bush, along with Edwards, Burleson, and Bell will be counted upon to make those defenses pay for cheating—even in obvious pass situations.

Bottom line? At long last, the Lions have the ingredients in place to have some fun on offense. Big fun!

22. By Mark on Jun 4, 2013 | Reply

I think he forgot that he is in Detroit. There is a difference between talent and having a good team. Detroit has been historically bad, there is a reason that they have so many high draft picks on their team. Either way good luck winning more than four games.

23. By Rebelyankee on Jun 4, 2013 | Reply

Nighttrain1 we can score as fast as we like and it should have no barring on our offense. When it comes right down to it the defense’s job is to get off the field, if they do so in 3 to 6 snaps every time they won’t be tired and we will lead the league in both offense and defense !!!

24. By Black Wolf Standing on Jun 4, 2013 | Reply

@marcus: You need to learn why you see so many 3 to 4 yard dump plays. It’s because Megatron is triple teamed and the other fill in receivers could not get open verses man coverage. It’s kind of bad that opposing teams play their safeties 20 yards off the line of scrimmage to stop Megatron from going over the top.

But do you know why they could afford to do it? It’s because even with only five men in the box, opposing teams could put pressure on Stafford and stop our running game.

This year our OL is more athletic and more oriented towards run blocking. Which means with the addition to Reggie Bush, our run game should be more lethal and force teams to either tighten up their defense or put more men in the box. Either way, that means our receivers will have more opportunities to get open deep.

Last year prove two things, can’t throw deep if nobody is open deep. Can’t run the ball, if your OL can’t open holes.

Best bet is to reinforce to everybody holding the ball is do NOT run out of bounds.

25. By LionsFanFlorida on Jun 4, 2013 | Reply

what

26. By LionsFanFlorida on Jun 4, 2013 | Reply

Reggie Bush should learn to stop talking so much. Talking this and that but it is all just empty words. I don’t know what his motivation is but I know his focus does not to seem to be on the field as much as in front of the camera. If I was him I would shut up and work out! He is looking in front of him at the camera when he should be looking behind him for this Steven Miller kid. This kid is a player! a play maker. A touchdown waiting to happen. Miller is going to take playing time from Reggie sooner than later if he doesn’t watch his back.

27. By nighttrain1 on Jun 5, 2013 | Reply

Rebelyankee, What you wrote has already been proven false, when the Lions had their high-powered offense they called the Silver Rush, when the defense came off the field they barely had time to catch their breath before they had to go back in because the offense scored within 1 or 2 plays. That year the Lions led the league in having the fewest 3rd downs because they rarely needed 3 downs to get a first down or score. Head coach Wayne Fontes changed the offense the next year because as he said, our offense scored too quick and we were just burning out our own defense.

28. By mackstrong2013 on Jun 5, 2013 | Reply

You guys realize you’re still the worst team in the division, right?

29. By koakiemac on Jun 5, 2013 | Reply

The only reason Jim Schwartz didn’t build off of the 10-6 2011 season was injuries. Main injury was Jahvid Best which hurt the running game tremendous in the 2012 season. Resulting in a 4-12 record which was a disappointing year for Lion’s fans. 2013 season will be placed on the offensive of line. If these young men come in and work hard learn from the coaches (Jeff Backus etc…). Then they have a shot at of having a 10-6 record or better. Their are teams in the division that are cocky and arrogant like this ignorant guy Mack Strong that will overlook the Lions which will be a big mistake. That’s if the offensive line is capable this year.

30. By koakiemac on Jun 5, 2013 | Reply

The reason the Lions wins declined from a 10-6 season in 2011 to a 4-12 in 2012 was they lost a big piece to the offense. That piece was Jahvid Best of course. Schwartz along with Mayhew put together a stout team but that dark cloud of injuries plagued the team. 2013 the pieces are in place as far as the skilled players. So everything falls on the offensive line! As far as the comment that was made by Mack Strong I hope all the teams in the division view the Lions the way you do. Cause if the offensive line holds, they will regret it!

31. By koakiemac on Jun 5, 2013 | Reply

We are Detroit Lion fans! So we are on the right page. Who the hell are you! And what funky team do you represent!

32. By mackstrong2013 on Jun 5, 2013 | Reply

I’m sure every team does view you that way, because it’s true. Just so I’m clear, the main reason you guys finished with less than half the wins of every single other team in your division is because you were missing a guy who doesn’t have 1000 yards for his career? Right. At least you guys have the best WR in the game though, gotta take the edge off a bit.

33. By koakiemac on Jun 5, 2013 | Reply

Missing a guy who doesn’t have a 1000 yd career???????? Go into depth so I can understand what you are talking about.

34. By John kershaw on Jun 12, 2013 | Reply

I think Reggie is rightremember when they had speed in the backfield you could not stop the offense

35. By Jon on Jul 8, 2013 | Reply

15 years of crappy offensive lines, and no run game, cmon, we need road graders, its an offensive game!