Lions ink G Jake Scott to one-year deal

Posted by ttwentyman on June 4, 2013 – 9:36 am

Jake ScottScott is the second interior lineman the Lions have signed over the last two days. They signed veteran Leroy Harris to the roster on Monday.

Both Scott and Harris played in Tennessee when Lions head coach Jim Schwartz was the team’s defensive coordinator.

Scott has started at right guard for most of his nine NFL seasons with the Eagles, Titans and Colts. He started all 16 regular-season games for the Colts and Titans from 2005 to 2011.

Scott and Harris now join a suddenly crowded interior line group that also features veteran Rob Sims and third-round draft pick Larry Warford.

18 Responses to “Lions ink G Jake Scott to one-year deal”

1. By little on Jun 4, 2013 | Reply

Hey, any possibility of running an off-set line with all these quality interior guys and very limited tackle depth? Quicker, multiple pull options, and just something else for d-cords to think about! Go Lions, RIP Mr. David “DEACON” Jones, you will always be an example of how to play, lead, and live!

2. By Brett on Jun 4, 2013 | Reply

I like all the competition for Center/Guard… but, we’re a little thin at Tackle aren’t we? (or are there a couple that can play G or T?) Also, like to see a little depth at LB, but I know the cap must be dwindling… If this OL can gel and play well, I’m REALLY liking this offense!

3. By Rebelyankee on Jun 4, 2013 | Reply

They are not going to carry 12 O-lineman on the 53 man roster so im a little confused ? We have Worford who will be starting at RG and if not he will be on the roster im sure. We have Sims who I would think will still be starting at LG. We have Nagy who I believe should start at C for us and could play OG. Then we have Austin a OG the Lions have been raving about and have had playing both OG and C in practice. So seeing as how including Guards Scott and Harris we have 6 OG’s on the roster now and Austin I believe is the only one that could go to the practice squad. Are we seeing the end of Raiola on the Lions roster ? Are they also thinking of letting Sims go and saving some more cap room ?? I for one can’t wait to see the final roster !!!

4. By Will on Jun 4, 2013 | Reply

I think it is a great move. The more competition we have on the O-Line the more we can see what each guy is truly made of. We are also adding veterans which bring in a certain work ethic that maybe the younger newer players need to model. And Remember, we have coach Backus helping to train the O-line. This is a perfect opportunity to set up the best lineman to protect Matt and hopefully keep only the best for years to come.

5. By Jerry on Jun 4, 2013 | Reply

What’s with all the Tennessee and Jacksonville dumpster diving? Now they have 8 potential starting guards signed, what are they thinking? If they are going to go through everyone’s refuse, might they consider dumpster diving with teams that actually are winning organizations like Baltimore, NY Giants, New England, etc. Moreover, could this mean that Austin, Nagy and maybe some of the others aren’t as good as the Lions initially thought they were? I can’t see them dumping Sims but stranger things have happened with the Lions, so what are they really up to? Trying to motivate the troops or is this just loading up the roster with camp fodder?

They might try turning their attention to the linebacker position and to adding another decent safety. That might make some sense and/or weed out the pretenders at those positions.

6. By Dan S on Jun 4, 2013 | Reply

Tennessee North.

7. By Rebelyankee on Jun 4, 2013 | Reply

Never hurts to look at players.
    Some extra bodies for camp maybe ???
    Change was coming was the word :-)

8. By JOE.B on Jun 4, 2013 | Reply

i AGREE, PLAY NAGY AT CENTER AND DUMP [ RAIOLA ] CLEAR SOME CAP SPACE, PLEASE….. AND JAKE SCOTT IS A GOOD SIGNING….

9. By Lions Fan on Jun 4, 2013 | Reply

I kinda thought they would have added another Tackle into the mix by now instead of all these guards which really isn’t a bad thing if you’re looking to up the run game . I do think they should sign another tackle but then again maybe they’re relying on Fox to get it done at that position but they do not really have depth at the tackle slot so they should add a veteran or at least add more competition at the position.

10. By little on Jun 4, 2013 | Reply

Hey, didn’t these two guys block for CJ2K when he lead the league in rushing a couple years back? What the heck is wrong with proven performance and veteran leadership. Schwartz has locker-room familiarity with both of them and wanted them on the team. Just because the Titans have had a couple bad years of quarterback play doesn’t mean these two can’t do their jobs. A little more positive thinking in our fan-base would do wonders for overall team morale. Most of the players don’t care what we say, but some do. I am not saying you have to go out and get a Lions tattoo and bleed blue like me, but keep your negativity to yourself. Expect to win, but LOVE OUR TEAM WIN<LOSE<DRAW, or quit calling yourself a LIONS FAN, and start cheering for cheese, brats, or bugles!!

11. By Drew on Jun 4, 2013 | Reply

Big say by Little, good job couldn’t say it better myself. Glad we are at least signing some FA’s to see what we got before we jump the gun & say they are busts, at minimum they bring great competition. So why are ppl b*T*Hing?

BTW we also signed WR Matt Willis who was a Raven & Bronco (both winning teams) He’s just a guy who will push the rookies at camp.

12. By little on Jun 4, 2013 | Reply

By adding Willis and Spurlock, who both have experience in the return game, it gives us a couple flyers, 4.4 or under, and have atleast average recieiver skills if called upon. Mayhew keeps making move after move, trying to make sure the final 53 is as complete and as deep as possible. More of the same, Martin, more of the same. Drew, thanks for the back up and have you seen his American Ninja Warrior run where he completes the course, not an easy task? All right everyone, lets get on the same page and bring the Lombardi to the D for a long-term stay!

13. By Henry on Jun 4, 2013 | Reply

Looks like someone is serious about trying to find guys who can make some holes. The Cheese Heads just might be Swiss at the end of this season. GO D!

14. By Black Wolf Standing on Jun 5, 2013 | Reply

@little, They were also there when CJ2K was failing miserably at gaining yards.

15. By little on Jun 5, 2013 | Reply

@Black Wolf Standing (cool handle by the way), I think CJ2K’s down year was more from a disgruntled employee mentality than from the lack of openings, not to mention he was seeing 8 and 9 man fronts because they could not throw period. No receivers, no quarterback, and only one tight end with hands, but he has only average speed. I am not trying to say that they are annual Pro-Bowlers, but they have experience and good size. Harris can play center and push Dom for playing time, younger, bigger, stronger. I am just happy that we keep making moves to have the best 53 at the end of training camp and by bringing them in now it will give them time to familiarize themselves with our system and philosophy. GO LIONS!!!!!!

16. By Don on Jun 7, 2013 | Reply

I hear a ton of talk about replacing Dominic Raiola, I am starting to understand that he is getting up there in age for the Center Position. However replacing the Center isn’t the easiest thing to do. OH lots of teams do it, Jump right in and put a new Man on the Job, Dom knows the Plays, All of the Plays. I am Pretty sure that the only center that we have that Might be close to knowing Most of the Play’s Is Nagy. And I do like the Idea of Nagy taking over for Dom at some point.
    Everyone is making these Statement about Raiola being the weak spot on the interior of the O-Line. However I have to say that I realy don’t believe that Dom was getting to much help holding it down from Peterson. Everyone knows what it is like trying to do your own job and someone Else’s at the same time. even at times Sins might have had to help out with Backus at times. Leaving your Center to hold the Middle by himself calls for disaster on any Team. I agree it is time to get someone ready for the job However with the Line shaping up and getting bigger and stronger on the ends OT’s and and a New OG could give Raiola just the kinda help he has been waiting for. I know we think we know and a ton of times we do. But with the OL or DL all the Meshing together remembering plays and on and on The Job The Line or Lines is where it all begins and ends.
    The Lions keep bringing Raiola Back for a reason and I do not believe it is because he isn’t any good at his Job.
    On another Note and I’ll try to keep it short.
    Everyone is all way’s saying how they wonder if FOX can handle the Position, and I might agree that we could use depth at the RT position. BUT, Not because I don’t think that Jason Fox can handle the Position. As far back as I can remember the Time that we drafted Jason he was at the Time something like a fith RD pick or something? But that was Only Because Jason Got his Knee injured somewhere in his Senior year at Miami. Until he was injured Jason Fox was being projected as a 1st, NO,1, First RD draft Pick OT!
    In fact If Jason Fox wouldn’t have gotten injured we probably would have never had a chance of getting him. Yes We LIONS Fans Owner’s, coach’s and fellow Players got a Steal when they picked up Jason Fox.
    I really believe that if Jason stay’s healthy, and he did last year, That he is going to make a many of LIONS fans VERY HAPPY! So stop sweatin about the Position.

17. By little on Jun 8, 2013 | Reply

Don, excellent point about Fox. Four year starter at the U and played all five line positions, even center as a true-freshman. He has quick feet, good hand placement, and a little bit of a mean streak. I think he has a slight advantage over Hilliard, but I have not seen much film of Corey. Peterman was a liability and unable to make anything resembling a hole in the run game and got pushed straight backwards more often than not when we dropped to pass. Dom is a great person and player, and I will always be a fan of his, but he is getting near the point of retirement and his play seems to weaken as every year passes. He can still hold his own for his size and age, but there are not many centers that small and that old starting in the NFL. He is the only one who fits both criteria. Nagy has potential, but I am hoping they give Austin and Harris a chance to snap the ball for Matt!

18. By "Ole Dan" Zuverink on Jun 12, 2013 | Reply

“Interesting comments” Now we may carry 90, competition and ability and injuries will slim down the choices for 53. Keep working hard and encouraging each other,I’m sure that has to be hard with the guys you encourage may get the spot you are both working for.I hope all yo players do well! GO LIONS 2013 WIN GAME ONE! SB2014