Calvin Johnson sees big things in Ryan Broyles’ future

Posted by ttwentyman on June 11, 2013 – 4:57 pm

Calvin JohnsonCalvin Johnson would love nothing better than one of his fellow receivers emerge as a true No. 2 option in the Detroit Lions offense to help take some of the pressure off his shoulders.

New running back Reggie Bush is going to help both as a runner and receiver. So would tight end Brandon Pettigrew returning to his 2011 form.

The Lions are hopeful that getting receivers Ryan Broyles and Nate Burleson back healthy will make a difference, too.

Burleson is recovering from a broken leg and Broyles a second torn ACL.

Broyles, in particular, has a chance to really fill that void this season. A second-round pick last year, he has an opportunity to be a breakout performer from last year’s draft class. He was just coming into his own with a six-catch, 126-yard performance the prior week to tearing his ACL vs. the Colts.

He seems ahead of schedule in his rehab, already taking part in the team portion of practice in mini-camp.

“I’m not surprised because I see him on a daily basis,” Johnson said Tuesday of Broyles’ recovery. “We see his progression. He’s looking good and moving around good.”

The Lions thought Broyles, who finished his college career with 349 catches for 4,586 yards and 45 touchdowns, was a steal in the second round of the 2012 draft. If not for the ACL injury, he might have been a first-round pick.

When 100-percent healthy, the Lions are expecting him to make a first-round type of impact this season. And so is Johnson.

“He has a good feel for the slot,” Johnson said. “He has a good feeling on how things are moving in there and he does good in there. He did a lot of that in college and he learns fast. He’s a smart kid and I expect more of that from him when he’s out there.”

That’s good news for both the Lions and Johnson in 2013.

Tags: ,

14 Responses to “Calvin Johnson sees big things in Ryan Broyles’ future”

1. By Black Wolf Standing on Jun 11, 2013 | Reply

#1 Megatron
    #2 Ryan Brolyes
    #3 Nate Burleson
    #4 Corey Fuller

Flush the rest from last year if they continue to drop passes.

2. By Jack Jarvis on Jun 11, 2013 | Reply

Broyles WAS a steal and will be great. I said it when they drafted him and he’ll show everybody this year. Go get ‘em , Ryan!

3. By Shane Fountain on Jun 12, 2013 | Reply

Ran Broyles is gonna beat it up this year a 7 or 8 hundred yeard reciever easy along with Megatron doing his thing gettin 1300 to 1500 yards recieving burleson doing his thing Bush doin it up and running the ball to Im tellin u the O is goiong to be real hard to stop this year teams defenses cant game plan for jus one player nomore they gotta plan for a whole new dimension wait and see what they do to the viking the first game wait is it the vickings or victims either way it is gonna be ugly for whoever the first team we play is and it is about time we dominate the division and it will happen this year !!!!! Get it boys ….. Go Lions

4. By Don on Jun 12, 2013 | Reply

I am ALL excited about this year!
    And I have every confidence in every Man on this Offense and the Defense!
    I am a Little worried about one Position on Defense and that is because the Player has been having trouble and just can’t seem to shake it1 And that is one of my Favorites, Louis Delmas. And I will say that I hope that we will cover our Backs a little bit if he doesn’t come around soon and stay healthy and happy all the way to the season. I do not want to see another deal like what happened with Jahvid Best. Counting on Delmas and never see him make the field or make it but just doesn’t have it. I know and everyone else knows that If Louis is ready he will go and go strong! Delmas has to keep this Team informed with the way that it really is. Not that he wouldn’t tell the truth or anything like that But, with his desire to want to play the Game. I’m just sayin to Louis and the coaching staff to the Doctor’s advice to keep it real, If it don’t feel right let everyone know in due time!
    I Love watching Delmas play he is a BEAST! And I love it!
    I also have to say one More thing. We have the Best QB in the whole league Right Now! And Mathew Stafford is going to Win US the Lions and the LIONS Fans a Superbowl! AT Least One! Maybe even More! And of coarse the Men that follow him are going to win us Superbowl’s TOO!
    GO LIONS! GO ! Into the Superbowl’s!
    I LOVE THIS TEAM!

5. By Louis Black on Jun 12, 2013 | Reply

Don’t sleep on Patrick Edwards. Thought that was a great pick for the Leos. He will be healthy enough to contribute this year, and the balance with the running game will make a big difference with the offense.

6. By Rebelyankee on Jun 12, 2013 | Reply

Someone few know right now that should have been available and called up last year at some point is a WR by the name of Edwards.
    I think people will know him soon enough if not in a Lions Uni then with another NFL team unfortunately. Better let this young man shine !!!

7. By Ken on Jun 12, 2013 | Reply

Burleson may be a good leader and voice in the locker room but he is not worth what we are paying him. I’d rather see a hungry young receiver get a chance for a heck of a lot less money. I think the Lions’ success this year depends on health (like all other teams in the league). If everyone can stay relatively healthy this season we should make a push for the playoffs.

8. By "Ole Dan" Zuverink on Jun 12, 2013 | Reply

I’m Happy that so many of our FANS are so positive and upbeat, and expecting alot.I’m sorry BlackWolf Standing can’t see more possible recievers who can and will make our team better, such as Pettigrew, who must be stronger, and make a big difference, this year,. I’m sure he knows he can do better than he did last year, and I don’t have to remind any one of things that went bad, Last Year.This is our ” New Hope Year”!All have new out looks and New faces, and New Attitudes toward working Hard, and doing better. I think we lookbetter Foro the Top down, and I certainly do not mean down means less,I’m just saying all, including the Fords and ALL the SUPPORT STAFF, AND FANS, and ALL WHO LOVE the LIONs. I hope I didn’t miss ANYONE ’cause we all support those on the field, and pray that they enjoy our encouragement, and and know none of us will be out for any torn acl or other injuries our TEAM may suffer. But we sure do respect their hard work, and pray that no one is hurt, though it may and probably will happen, OUR GOAL is still NONE! GO LIONS2013, SB2014! We love ‘ya

9. By Gary on Jun 12, 2013 | Reply

I think the lions have a good receiving group and if they allow the younger guys (Patrick Edwards and Cory Fuller) to get some work that’s only going to strengthen our offense and assist CJ.

10. By Kasey on Jun 14, 2013 | Reply

Ryan Broyles won’t be a number 2. He’s a slot, and that’s it. He runs over the middle and is a burner, but he’s a route runner first and foremost.

11. By jacksprat57 on Jun 17, 2013 | Reply

Rebelyankee: Keeping Edwards on the P/SQ was strategic. What they didn’t want was to activate him, have him flash, and then have to put him back. At that point, they might have lost him. Keep in mind their injury problems elsewhere last season. Managing that mess took precedence to the opportunity to ‘blood’ him.

12. By big buck 67 on Jul 1, 2013 | Reply

I think your right don delmas needs NOT wait till start of season to let everyone know the knee is not 100 % id even take90% we need delmas healty but we do have hope!

13. By big buck 67 on Jul 1, 2013 | Reply

Johnson,broyles,bush,stafford, look out north here we come

14. By Gary Ross on Jul 9, 2013 | Reply

I hope he (Broyles) is healthy to produce. In addition Edwards, Fuller and Thomas also i really have high expectations for these three receivers. If they have good years we (the LIONS) will such a prolific offense that no team can stop! Oh by the way did any of the receivers stay in Detroit and work with Stafford ?

Sent from my iPhone