Slay: “Going up against guys like Calvin and Nate has made me better already”

Posted by Tara Altman on June 13, 2013 – 3:00 pm

Calvin Johnson, Darius Slay

“It was very exciting to be on the field for all three mini-camp practices. Learning the plays, practicing with everybody and getting better everyday – that was what my goal was, and I enjoyed it.

“I would rate my practice performance pretty high, just because I’ve been learning and trying to go at full speed at what I do … I feel like a good 8 or 9 right now. I feel pretty good.

“Going up against guys like Calvin and Nate has made me better already. Practicing against these guys everyday is just going to get me better. I really don’t know how you can’t get better going up against them. It’s a blessing to be able to go up against them.

“But, man, I’m ready to go home. I’ve got to get back and see my boy. He’s ready to see me and I’m read to see him too. He hasn’t been up here yet, he’s ready to come up though.

“I’m going to leave tomorrow and train back at school, at Mississippi State, and just stay in shape. Got to make sure I stay in shape and come back ready for camp.”

Posted in Darius Slay Blog | 10 Comments »

10 Responses to “Slay: “Going up against guys like Calvin and Nate has made me better already””

1. By broccolilava on Jun 13, 2013 | Reply

Thanks for the update, Darius. GL back home. We’re happy to have you in the D.

2. By Mike Sudds on Jun 13, 2013 | Reply

Well, now Slay will know what the toughest job in the NFL is: Covering Calvin Johnson every day in practice.

Slay will hone his “under” technique as Chris Houston has over the years.

3. By rockbo1955 on Jun 13, 2013 | Reply

Your deserve it slay a starter on the first team this year ! you go be with your son he needs his daddy! well done!

4. By Eric D. on Jun 13, 2013 | Reply

I was hoping with everything that we drafted you, Darius! You were my #1 CB in the draft in my opinion. You seem to be an extremely hard worker with your head on straight and your priorities in line. The Lions have needed a player like you. And yes, going up against Megatron is going to make you elite. Just stay in shape and stay healthy and stay out there on the field and make those plays. We will be considered one of the best secondaries in the NFL after this season!!! Roar Restored!!!

5. By Mike Barnett on Jun 13, 2013 | Reply

That will make you better, going up against Megatron. ‘ Welcome To Detroit’

6. By juice5114 on Jun 13, 2013 | Reply

just remember to try to stay out of trouble and away from the wrong crouds man we are counting on u slay

7. By Shane Fountain on Jun 14, 2013 | Reply

Shoot going up against the beast known as megatron and he wont go easy on u could make ui one of the best in the league could we have the next revis, sanders, etc u will be a shit down corner im willing to bet on that and we need u badly do your thing Bro we counting oin ya this year

8. By Mike Barnett on Jun 14, 2013 | Reply

It’s shut down corner. not s.h.i.t . But I feel you… He will be a good one in the NFL.

9. By Will Rock on Jun 15, 2013 | Reply

Hey Slay!! Very excited to have you on the team. We are counting on you and appreciate your efforts getting back to the field so quickly. Dont get down on yourself to bad for missing time. Just stay humble and out of trouble and spend some QT with the family. A strong dad is what your family needs and I am sure you do a great job!! From one father to another Happy fathers day tomorrow!! Go LIONS!!!

10. By little on Jun 17, 2013 | Reply

Great to see one of our youngest players leading the way putting family first and football a close second. Take your time coming back from injury because you have already proven your value to this team. Just continue to get comfortable with the plays and positioning and TRY to cover calvin, if you learn how to do that you are already ahead of 98% of the corners in this league (peterson and revis can actually hold their own with him, not win every battle, but not lose everyone either), God bless you young man and just have 30 ready when it is called, hopefully early and often!