Lions fill final roster spot with DT Andre Fluellen

Posted by ttwentyman on July 26, 2013 – 2:00 pm

fluellen-article-072613The Lions needed to add depth along their defensive line and are turning to a familiar face to provide it.

The team signed defensive tackle Andre Fluellen to a one-year deal Friday, which will be his third stint with the club.

Fluellen (6-2, 302) spent his first four seasons with the Lions after the team drafted him in the third round out of Florida State in 2008.

Fluellen was released during final cuts last year due to a numbers game along the defensive line, but was re-signed in December. He played in the final three games of the season with one start.

He had a brief stint with the Bears this offseason, but was released in May.

Like Jason Jones and Isreal Idonije, Fluellen is a versatile player who can play both on the outside and inside at defensive tackle.

The 28-year-old Fluellen has appeared in 56 games in five NFL seasons, with 52 tackles and 2.5 sacks. He also had a two-game stint with Miami in 2012.

Fluellen will wear No. 96 and C.J. Mosley will now wear No. 99.

13 Responses to “Lions fill final roster spot with DT Andre Fluellen”

1. By lionsgonewild on Jul 26, 2013 | Reply

A toss up to the coaches,,,,,,,can he play the Lions system or not?

2. By LionInWait on Jul 26, 2013 | Reply

Clearly I missed it. Did Corey Williams retire or have a career ending injury?

3. By Mike Sudds on Jul 26, 2013 | Reply

OK, I get it. Fluellen comes much cheaper than Corey Williams, and is too slow to cause all of those encroachment penalties that we were accustomed to with Corey “The Flag Magnet” Williams.

Fluellen knows the system, and can play either DT role and the RDE role about as well as I can, and I’m 66 years old.

C.J. Moseley will be the first off the bench in the DT rotation. Fluellen will have to leave his job at Target to knit on the bench.

4. By Black Wolf Standing on Jul 26, 2013 | Reply

Same old back up player, same old results. When he is rotated in, teams will have a field day against our defense. Is putting a bad DT on our rooster even worth it? I hope his lack of effort is not contagious.

5. By rockbo1955 on Jul 26, 2013 | Reply

This is not the guy i would have signed but he know the system! but I bet he does not make the 53 man roster! play the younger guys!

6. By lioncub on Jul 26, 2013 | Reply

All the naysayers to Fluellen , You really should have watched the line play instead of the plays results last year and during the years he has played for us, He is no Suh, but then no one is, but I have watched his and Sammie HIlls playmaking abilities and he is no slouch and does not take plays off when he is on the field. His motor is still good and he possesses gas in the tank, he is a low key player unlike Suh or Fairley so doesn’t get the press. Hey Flu, shut these aholes up and make the team again and be solid. GO LIONS!!!!!!!

7. By Jerry harty on Jul 27, 2013 | Reply

Abraham ? I.m all for young,play,em ..
    I like this kid, the little he got in made the most of it
    always around the ball. ….
    Glad your back hope they play you 3 down,s, Youu got it,showe,m !!!

8. By SPEILMAN4GMNOW on Jul 27, 2013 | Reply

GREAT Signing. Took them long enough though. I love the fact he gets his old number back too! I’ve watched this guy play for years & he’s a pretty good football player. P.S.: Mike Sudds & Black Wolf Standing don’t know Bo Diddley Bet he makes the 53!!!!!! GO GET EM ANDRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sacked Aarron Rodgers b4 too

9. By Don on Jul 27, 2013 | Reply

I am Very happy to have Fluellen Back ! yes he knows the system and like the writer before me said Fluellen is allways around the Ball and in the Play!
    There are certain Writers that come on here and just complain all day AND every Day! they must be from Chicago or one of our division Rivals.
    The Division is getting very nervous now that this LIONS TEAM is Getting better and Better and is Loaded with Talent And Fluellen has Talent and know’s what he’s doing. He has been playing for 5 or 6 years Now! the same guy’s who constantly whine about having Vets are the same ones who complain when the Organization gets some. Welcome Andre. And have a GREAT YEAR!
    As for C.J. Mosley I am hopeing that you hit the Other QB’s in this Division the same way that you hit Stafford a few years ago.
    I do love having Cory Williams too However I think this Team knows more about what is going on with Cory Williams than his fans do.
    GO! GO! GO! LIONS! GO TO THE Superbowl!
    I LOVE THIS TEAM!

10. By Rebelyankee on Jul 28, 2013 | Reply

Welcome back Fluuuuu !!!

11. By Jerry harty on Jul 29, 2013 | Reply

He needs to play more,he is not focused on his role ever,always just trying to hang on ,This guy can play BIG time,I was pissed as a lion fan to see him sit let alone realesed, what are you cooooaches looking for? hasn,t worked since the 50,s been A LIOns fan since 68,I,m 50 in September,from Wisconsin boardon,t live iring MN
    I,m sick Of taking shit plus I have heart problems and dibeetees,cant spell
    Give me and him a shot ,fans don,t live for ever ? and you need um
    JERRY J HARTY
    Lifetime us part6LION, Till death do us part !!!!!

12. By Robman on Jul 29, 2013 | Reply

I had to check the date on this story to make sure it was from 2013.

13. By Lioncub on Aug 4, 2013 | Reply

They need to get Jackson a 90 something number, then I can go to the games with my Roaring 90′s banner, hoping it will make the tube when the D makes a great play! GO LIONS!