Slay: “The first padded practice was very intense”

Posted by Tara Altman on July 29, 2013 – 3:09 pm

“My offseason was pretty good. I went home for about two weeks to chill with my son, then I went back to Mississippi State to train with the team. I wanted to be in better shape, and stay in shape, so I went back to my school.

“So far, camp has been pretty good. Right now I’m just learning, getting my technique better, and my athletic ability will be able to take care of itself. I’m in the learning process still.

“The schedule hasn’t been too exhausting. There are definitely a lot more meetings than there were during mini-camp, and it’s a lot more competitive. People are turning it up another notch now – I need to turn myself up a whole other notch now. I’m just out there competing with everybody else.

“I feel good about the tempo of practice. I feel like I’m up to speed and I can keep up with everybody. I have to make sure that I continue to take care of my body more because I do feel it when it comes time at the end of practice, but I just keep pushing through it.

“The first padded practice was very intense. First part of practice, you want to be good to put it on film for us to watch. Everybody is trying to do their job. If you mess up, make sure you correct it and do it at full speed, running to the ball and all that stuff. It was just real intense. I have to get used to that, I haven’t been in pads in a long time.

“Going up Calvin is great. Playing against the best, you have to be the best. I’m having a great time out there competing against him. I’m waiting for the day that he gives me some tips on what to watch out for and I’m guessing I’ll get some at the end of camp.

“Overall, I feel good physically. Right now I’m about to get in the cold tub to get my body right. But I’m feeling pretty good.”

Posted in Darius Slay Blog | 8 Comments »

8 Responses to “Slay: “The first padded practice was very intense””

1. By rockbo1955 on Jul 29, 2013 | Reply

Slay will play this year no doubt because he can stay with the WR from scrimage to the catch or interception he has to be a starter because of his cover skills!

2. By JP O'Flaherty on Jul 29, 2013 | Reply

Darius, we need a good CB on the side opposite Houston. You young guys (Green, Greenwood, Bentley and you) could make a big difference in the Defense this year. Hope you get a start!

3. By broccolilava on Jul 30, 2013 | Reply

Keep it up, Darius. Great to have you on the Lions!

4. By Ken on Jul 30, 2013 | Reply

Finally we “appear” to have some talent in the defensive backfield. Maybe this will turn into a strong point on our defense this year. Go Lions.

5. By J on Jul 31, 2013 | Reply

Slay would have been a first round pick if not for that meniscus problem. If he stays healthy, he could be a game changer. Quin, Delmasm Slay, and Bentley will be amazing to see.

6. By Anthony Miller on Aug 3, 2013 | Reply

Darius Slay do what I say!!!! LOL!!! Real talk doe Just play the damn ball!!! If u do that u will b fine!!! If u play that ball it wont matter where the receiver is!!! We lost a few games last year just because guys wouldn’t make plays on the ball!!! Jacob Lacey told Mayhew that he loved to tackle!! Well what about covering!!! Just play the damn ball!!! GO LIONS!!!

7. By Black Wolf Standing on Aug 3, 2013 | Reply

@Anthony Miller – At the Pro level, playing the ball as you put it is not always the best thing to do. If the CB is playing man, he has to play the WR. He also has to know when the QB throws the ball. That’s when he must play the ball as you put it. But I am quite positive all the position coaches (and veterans) are going to teach Slay what to do better than you or I could in this blog.

So, with that, have fun! Give advice. Cheer your Lions! See you, er, the Lions in the SB.

8. By Anthony Miller on Aug 3, 2013 | Reply

@Black Wolf Standing- At any level, how can u play the ball if its still in the QBs hand? Of course I mean after the ball is thrown!!! I dont know what games u watched last year, but I can remember many occasion when a DB wouldnt locate the ball while its in the air. They would just chase the receiver never turning around to see where the ball is. I saw guys like Jacob Lacey, Bill Bentely and even C.Houston at times not git their heads around thats all!!! If the position coaches or any coaches were doing their job last year, u wouldn’t see the same mistakes twice and out of more than 1 person!!! I’m not so sure they could do a better job because thats just basic fundamentals of football buddy!! U dont’ have to be a pro to know that!!! And if the coaches were telling them then they weren’t holding the DBs accountable and that’s even worse!!! If u watched them last yr u would know that we had a problem with accountability last yr on and off the field!! Remember players like Logan and Pettigrew being allowed to make mistake after mistake and no benching or pulling out of a game until the last game of the year when nothing mattered anymore!!! Anyway!!! I still love my Lions unconditionally! GO LIONS!!!