Calvin Johnson breaks down the Lions’ secondary

Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on August 2, 2013 – 7:50 pm

Ron Bartell“I always go against the starting two corners, Chris Houston and Ron Bartell, and they’re bigger backs. Both Chris and Bartell are real strong. You have to use all your techniques in order to get off the line with those guys.

“They also have experience, which makes a lot of difference — it is everything in the NFL. The more experience you have, the better your instincts are … and at cornerback, instincts are everything.

“Looking at our young guys, Chris Greenwood is finally getting to see the field. He doesn’t have as much experience with us on the field as he might want, but he’s being physical out there so that will play out better for him.

“Bentley, he’s got a little game experience. If he just stays healthy, he’s going to be all right — he’s going to be a playmaker for us. And with Jonte, we just need him to stay healthy and be a little more physical out there and he’ll be all right.

“The rookie, Slay, he’s got the tools. He’s got the speed, he can catch the ball, and he can make plays on the ball. He’s an all-around good corner but he’s still raw. For him, the biggest thing is getting experience from us in training camp and preseason.

“Having a veteran like Quin out there is also going to help out a lot. Its like when we had Delmas out there last year. When you got Delmas out there, everybody is comfortable, everybody knows what to do. I think we can get the same thing out of Quin.”

Tags: , , , , ,
Posted in Calvin Johnson Blog | 14 Comments »

14 Responses to “Calvin Johnson breaks down the Lions’ secondary”

1. By broccolilava on Aug 2, 2013 | Reply

Leave it to Calvin Johnson to break down DB’s, even in a blog post. :)

I like our secondary this year. I am really excited to see these guys play. One more week!

2. By Black Wolf Standing on Aug 2, 2013 | Reply

3. By little on Aug 2, 2013 | Reply

Hey Black Wolf, everytime you comment on my team you sound so negative. I am beginning to take it personally, because I truly hate ignorance. You are on a LIONS site, and like I have told many others, LIONS FANS ARE POSITIVE<or the aren't LIONS FANS. Go buy some cheese, or some brats, or go get a big horn to blow and pick another team to cheer for, because you are a detriment ( a bad thing!) for team morale, fan morale, and the overall lifestyle of being a true LIONS FAN. GO LIONS, to hell with Black Wolf Standing, and may GOD Bless All Real LIONS FANS!!!!

4. By Anthony Miller on Aug 2, 2013 | Reply

First of all let me just start by sayin’ “I love Calvin”! He makes me proud to be a lions fan. I just hope that Marcus Robertson can teach these young DBs to turn and locate the football this year!!! If they can just have improved ball skills, we can turn some of those close games into wins this year. Robertson was a helluva player for the Houston Oilers so I hope he is teaching these guys how to cover and git their freakin heads around and find the ball!!! We shall see!!! GO LIONS!!!!

5. By Jason H. on Aug 3, 2013 | Reply

little, I think Black Wolf Standing was just making a really positive statement regarding the outlook of our CB’s.

6. By rockbo1955 on Aug 3, 2013 | Reply

look we have an excellent secondary now! I see the starting slay/bently/houston/quinn if delmas knee swollen up doe,s not look good and they have been keeping him off the field. I hope I am wrong but his knee our just plain wore out ! I do not see him playing much this year! but we have excellent secondary with or without him!

7. By Black Wolf Standing on Aug 3, 2013 | Reply

@little: You are an, well, I just can’t say. LEARN TO READ. I was giving the Lions a huge compliment. By quoting Calvin Johnson, I was giving both our potential starting CB’s the biggest compliment that possibly could be given to them. By stating that they could slow up or shut down the best WR in the history of the NFL, all the other WR’s playing on opposing teams are going to be in real trouble. We may just have one of the best secondaries in the league this year.

Now, can you figure out that this is a compliment?

8. By Mike Barnett on Aug 3, 2013 | Reply

Whats good Black Wolf? Sometimes you are negative when it comes to the Lions! But this time I give it to you and your compliment about our CBs. Lets go Lions

9. By little on Aug 3, 2013 | Reply

Upon further review, let me retract the comment to Black Wolf, I did read it in a hurry and am used to you being mainly negative that it kind of upset the over-aggresive nature I have, for that I am sorry. Please lets everybody stay positive on this site. I am so tired of hearing negatives about our team, not only nationally, but even locally. This angers me, and in the future I will try to be a better reader and fan. Sorry, Black Wolf, I need to pay better attention. GO LIONS! In regards to what I am though, it would be something along the lines of “CAUTION>>>>DOES NOT PLAY WELL WITH OTHERS>>>>HIGHLY VOLATILE”

10. By Black Wolf Standing on Aug 4, 2013 | Reply

@everybody – I love my Lions. But I do look at them with a different view. I look at them very objectively and sometimes over emphasize their weaknesses to show a point. Like Stafford’s overall win / lose record verses the size of contract he got. Do I wish the Lion’s to get rid of him? Heck NO. Do I wished Stafford practiced what he preaches about not wanting to set any contract records? Heck yes. Never before in the History of the NFL that a QB with such a poor record got paid so much money. Now it would be ok if Stafford channels a good portion of that money back into the community. Then maybe his high salary would be justified. Maybe if Stafford actually started taking responsibility for his team’s poor record instead of blaming it on everything else under the sun, he will start to actually improve. Gosh, can you imagine Stafford improving? Writers keep being amazed how Calvin Johnson always goes all out even in practice. How the heck do you think he got so good? How do you think he’s going to get better? By going all out all the time. You practice how you’ll play. If you put forth the effort all the time, you’ll get better. This is the Lions we all want. Not a 10-6 team, a better team. We already done the 10-6 thing. We need more. We deserve more. We certainly are paying more when we go to Ford Field. I LOVE MY LIONS!

Go Lions! You are good enough to win in the playoffs. So don’t stop winning until there are no more games to play.

11. By Brandon on Aug 5, 2013 | Reply

I feel pretty good about our DB situation, assuming we can stay healthy.

As far as Black Wolf comments go, I understand what he’s saying, but I don’t get where he thinks Stafford blames others for the Lions record. I think he is getting paid what he deserves. A win/loss record is not the only measure of how good a QB is, and it takes more than a QB for a team to win or lose. The Lions had a lot of areas they needed to address, and they have made huge strides in addressing those needs this offseason. It remains to be seen how it all comes together on the field, but the problems they’ve had do not fall on Stafford. The only thing I would like to see more of from Stafford is off the field leadership with mentoring team members and being more vocal in general. He has certainly done a lot of giving back to community.

12. By jacksprat57 on Aug 6, 2013 | Reply

“Both Chris and Bartell are real strong. You have to use all your techniques in order to get off the line with those guys.” — C. Wywrot … “If Calvin is having problems making separation on these two, then guess what all lesser WR’s are going to face.” — Black Wolf Standing … Well, Jim and Gunther finally have their personnel in the backfield lined up with their preferred philosophy. Now, we’ll see whether or not their ideas work in practice. Given Roger Goodell’s feminist theories about football, I’m skeptical that the refs will allow enough contact.

13. By jacksprat57 on Aug 6, 2013 | Reply

“In regards to what I am though, it would be something along the lines of ‘CAUTION>>>>DOES NOT PLAY WELL WITH OTHERS>>>>HIGHLY VOLATILE’ ” — little … Is that screen name of yours descriptive, guy? (As in the “Little Corporal”?)

14. By rockbo1955 on Aug 6, 2013 | Reply

Black Wolf Standing a message see white smoke! It say big wovelrine is sh/tting on your porch come look ! Any thing to get your head out of your a** be positive and slay the one that batted the out hands and you have no right tarnish the king of wide recievers and will get 2000 yards this year! man i can stand your post peroid!