Slay: “I feel like we’re going to be a good, balanced team”

Posted by Tara Altman on August 6, 2013 – 4:07 pm

“Practice has been going pretty well. Today I feel like it picked up a lot, just because of Friday coming up with our first preseason game. The tempo and everything has kicked up a notch.

“We haven’t started watching game film on the Jets yet, we’ll probably start that tomorrow and today we’ll watch film and see what we messed up on at practice. I don’t know too much about their offense – I do know their quarterback, Geno. Really I’ve been worrying more about what’s going on here at this facility, and tomorrow we’ll start the game plan.

“I’m just really looking forward to a great time, a great competition, and a great fan base. I’m not nervous at all,  I’m just hoping for the best.

“I think our offense is really coming together, we got a lot of help out there with Calvin, then you have Bush, he can spread the field a lot at running back or receiver, we have Patrick Edwards who can spread the field out with his speed and all that, so I feel like we’re going to be a good, balanced team.

“So far, I’ve learned a lot of technique since I’ve been here, that’s been the main thing, and I think my talent level has really increased. I’ve been getting a lot of treatment on my body, making sure I stay healthy and right now I’m feeling good.”

Posted in Darius Slay Blog | 9 Comments »

9 Responses to “Slay: “I feel like we’re going to be a good, balanced team””

1. By Mike Barnett on Aug 6, 2013 | Reply

Good to have Slay here. That’s right stay healthy and have fun out there. LET’S GO LIONS

2. By broccolilava on Aug 6, 2013 | Reply

Thanks for the post! So excited for the season to get going. Great to have Darius on our team. This will be a good year to be a Lion.

3. By nighttrain1 on Aug 7, 2013 | Reply

Friday’s 1st quarter game against the Jets and we will get our first look at what the Lions offensive and defensive starters are going to look like. On paper they should raise hell, I just hope it’s not just all on paper. I think the NFC North will be introduced to a brand new Lion team and they will learn the days of easy wins are over.

4. By J on Aug 7, 2013 | Reply

i can’t wait. Have some high expectations. Just hope the lions don’t forget about the jets defense.

5. By Jackson on Aug 7, 2013 | Reply

Remember this is pre season so don’t get to up or down. Teams are to scheming against each other or anything. This is more of a chance for guys to get work and see where they are and get some things cleaned up. Also, a chance for these young guys to get some live action and the groups to gel. If the Lions lost all for pre-season games I would not panic at all. What I am looking for is different players how they fit and how far along they have come.

6. By marcus on Aug 7, 2013 | Reply

We have the chance to be really good. Our offense is very nice even last year but defense backs and safety and linebackers have to limit scoring. On the other hand we went a lot of 3 and out when we where healthy at receiver and tight end so we burned up our defense early in the year. We always go 3 and out.

7. By nighttrain1 on Aug 7, 2013 | Reply

I agree with you, right now, the Lions pretty much know who their starters are going to be, preseason is the best chance to see who will step up and play their hearts out so they can then pick the 53 men that will make up the 2013 Detroit Lions.
    The ones to watch are the late pick-ups that haven’t had a lot of practice time with the team, if they come through, then the Lions will have some very tough choices to make.
    The Lions for once have too many good players, whoever they cut, most of them will be picked up very quickly by other teams.

8. By Don on Aug 9, 2013 | Reply

Is there no way to keep rookies on the team for the possible future?
    Like on the practice squad? Or can they be taken by other Teams at any time?
    It is nice to have so many Talented players though!
    As for Darius Slay, Welcome to The Detroit LIONS!
    I am Hoping that you are here for Many years! Breaking Many Records And Helping this Team Win Many Many Games, Regular season Games, Playoff Games, And Superbowl’s! (:
    I didn’t get to any practices this year, But I have seen some Video’s of you playing And I am Impressed And I am Looking forward to you Impressing me even More, A Lot More!
    GO LIONS!

9. By Don on Aug 9, 2013 | Reply

Just one more little comment, I have been reading your blogs and have found that you Darius are a fine human Being. Whatever you do.
    DO NOT Allow that to Change. We, Need More young men like you that are so very responsible, Loving their children and ALL children.
    I can tell by reading your blog that you have it where it counts.
    The Human Heart can be a wonderful thing. And I am sure that you play whole heartily. And I hope that you live whole heartily also.
    Being a Good loving Father is a Great Thing!
    Bless you. Bless your son and all the children.
    And By all means Bless our LIONS! (: