Lions look sloppy in first half

Posted by ttwentyman on August 15, 2013 – 9:25 pm

That’s one half of preseason football the Detroit Lions would like to forget. All three phases were beaten thoroughly and the Lions trail Cleveland 17-3 at the half.

A few observations …

Offense

• No Calvin Johnson in the lineup (knee contusion) meant not much going for the Lions offense. The starters played five series and accounted for a grand total of three points and 88 yards. Matthew Stafford and Co. didn’t pick up a first down until their fourth possession. The Lions had only four first downs in the half.
  • The offense (aka running back Reggie Bush) got things going a little bit on their fifth and final possession. On that drive, the Lions went 47 yards in 14 plays. Bush accounted for 34 of them.
  • Bush caught five passes for 44 yards in the first half, showing a little bit of how the Lions plan to use him.
  • Stafford stayed relatively clean, but didn’t see his receivers get a lot of separation from defenders. There were zero holes for running backs to run through. The offense had a grand total of 13 rushing yards in the first half for an average of 1.2 yards.

Defense

• The Lions have said all training camp that their length and athleticism upfront on defense will allow them some versatility in some of their rush packages. We saw that early in the first half when the Lions switched their defensive ends and defensive tackles on a third-down play. Nick Fairley got underneath Browns left tackle Joe Thomas and applied great pressure on a third-down incompletion. That forced a punt on the Browns’ first possession.
  • For a second straight game, the Lions’ starting secondary played poorly and did not tackle well. There’s a little bit of concern growing there, but we should remember it’s the preseason and there’s no Louis Delmas at safety. Browns starting quarterback Brandon Weeden completed 8-of-10 passes for 117 yards and two touchdowns. Not good. That after all four Jets quarterback had over a 90.0 rating last week.
  • Ndamukong Suh and Fairley played well, except for a Suh roughing the passer penalty. They chased the ball well and both made plays down the field.

13 Responses to “Lions look sloppy in first half”

1. By Sheryl on Aug 15, 2013 | Reply

The Lions are sloppy all over. Not to mention the Refs seem to have it in for them again this year! It’s going to be another LONG year I’m afraid.

2. By Anthony Miller on Aug 15, 2013 | Reply

Sorry but Lou Delmas is only 1 person!! Like I said before our secondary has not been accountable for not getting their heads around! Our # 1 corner has speed I thought and he wont even turn his head around. Its almost like their scared that they will lose where the receiver is,but at some point someone has to turn their head around!!! Please DBs when the receiver’s eyes get big GET YOUR HEAD AROUND!!!!

3. By T.N.E on Aug 15, 2013 | Reply

Very Sloppy! I’ve stated that we need a new Linebacker Core. And the O-Line didnt come to play. R.Bush struggled to run the designed play. I never criticize the coaching staff, but someone need to light some fire under our team’s ass!!,,,Flat Out!!!! DeAndre Levy/Ashley Palmer should not start at OLB (sorry). I’d rather see a rookie find his way, working on the field, along the way!!!! I see improvement in the secondary,,,a lot of improvement.

4. By JP O'Flaherty on Aug 15, 2013 | Reply

Realizing this is the second pre-season game, it is still worth noting that the Lions played poorly on defense and offense. The OLiine does NOT open up holes for the running backs. The Defense beyond the DLine cannot tackle, linebackers or DBs. There were even several missed tackles by the DLine starters. If this is the best they have, we are looking at another 2-14 season.
    Who is the receivers coach? Does he teach the WRs how to come back to the QB, and mor eimportantly to get OPEN and Catch the ball! TWO Drops by Burelson, Austin and Willis look better with the second team Offense. Why no passes to Ryan Broyles? Also, why not use Fauria and see if he should be replacing Scheffler and/or Pettigrew who dropped a wide open catch over the middle, blowing a First Down.
    Willie Young and the DE Lewis have played well in both games. Both are aggressive and playing real well getting after the QB. Ansah looks like the real deal, and Suh and Fairley should be great. I thought Whitehead was a great athlete? He can’t tackle. Palmer looks better, but why don’t we have better options after two drafts???? NO ONE in the Secondary has shown they can tackle AGAIN just like last year. VERY DISAPPOINTING, Thank God for CJ, very questioable Offense without him in the game! Stafford needs to find secondary receivers like Rogers in Green Bay. He makes mediocre WRs look great! Coaching doesn not look sharp, were out-coached by the Cleveland rookie group of coaches.

5. By Black Wolf Standing on Aug 16, 2013 | Reply

When opposing WR’s can get wide open on nothing but basic go routes that little kids in peewee use, I begin to wonder if we even have talent in our secondary and are just fooling ourselves.

6. By Joe Joe on Aug 16, 2013 | Reply

Wonderful. I can’t wait for another season of this. No dicsipline, failure to execute plays, all the talent in the league and we still can’t do anything right. I’m also really starting to have doubts with Stafford, he’s been terrible at reading defenses and observing coverage this whole last year. I hope they can put a round turn on the sloppy play, but right now I have little faith.

7. By Raymond on Aug 16, 2013 | Reply

What was that in Cleveland? Stafford is a average Qb.they the lions could practice 24/7 and still leadership would not surface. Sportswriters in det allow Schwartz to spin results . Preseason is for teams to sell tickets how many did they sell last nite? I really believe Shawn hill gives the lions the best chance to be comp..finally coaches set the tone what def were they in? Stafford yes he can throw but reading defs Terrible.a question to Schwartz point to one phase of last nites game that has a desire from players to win. Good luck coach!

8. By Ghost on Aug 18, 2013 | Reply

I think they wanted to give the punters a lot of practice. We were sandbagging so the Browns will be overconfident when we play them in the regular season.

Yeah, that’s the ticket.

9. By darrin on Sep 15, 2013 | Reply

sick of this team sick,nice kicker lionns fan for 25 years not anymore I would rather spick my eyes with needles than watch this junk of a team

10. By darrin on Sep 15, 2013 | Reply

really you cant turn around an look at the ball,bentley your I joke I can do better an I sick

11. By Ghost on Sep 15, 2013 | Reply

Stafford and the entire organization is mediocre and will be for the foreseeable future. This ia bout as good as it is going to get.

12. By Eric on Sep 17, 2013 | Reply

Seriously all the coaches need to be fired!! Lions have more talent than 90% of all the NFL teams but lacking a real coach who can control his team. Sloppy undisciplined team!!! Tired of being a lions fan!! Really FIRE all the coaches and get a real coach who can really motivate this team!!

13. By Ghost on Sep 17, 2013 | Reply

I think we tend to overestimate the talent on the team. The entire organization is mediocre from the owners on down to the water boy. I don’t know where we would get the coach Eric envisions. Even if we could find one would he come to Detroit? I have begun to believe we are what we are going to be in this generation anyway. Or they are now. I have nothing to do with it.

I will say this find on Seu is really overboard. I see other penalties that are like that and no fine. Sometimes no flag. They are handicapping him But even without that problem we are a poor team.